Calling Coyotes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    For calling coyotes in open country, any recommendations? Electronic isn't an option where I'm going.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    is live legal?
    as a youngster in ohio we sold fox and yote hides. best way we found is to buy a live chicken, steak it out near your target area on a 3' lead. spread out corn/food just out of reach. the chicken will cluck and chatter angrily.
    this draws in the yotes and foxes like crazy!

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Get a squealer whistle and a fawn distress call, pull up some good ol' you tube audio and learn how to use them, and go get them coyote's. wish I was going..

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I have a correction to make. Electronic calls are legal where I'll be-the Caja Del Rio plateau in NM. Confirmed with the USFS that this unit is open for hunting.

I like the chicken idea. For a hunt here at home, I may use one of my young roosters-unless someone wants to buy a 2 month old lavender Orpington rooster. I have 4 and will keep 1 for breeding.

There are 2 of us going but I'm supplying guns for both. My main gun will be a Ruger American .243 with 85 grain bullets and for a second, I'm torn between a shotgun or rim fire rifle for possible shots at rabbits-tons of black tailed jacks out there, or a .357 mag carbine to use in the tall brush. The shotgun will probably be a 20 gauge double to make it quick and easy to change between yote loads and bunny loads.

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    There are tapes/CD's made just for this sort of thing. But if ya wanna get 'me in close, nothing works like live bait.
    The wounded rabbit and fawn distress calls will bring them in from a long ways off though. And those things hardly stop, so shoot at your first opportunity. Happy hunting!

Top Bottom