Can a policeman "confiscate" your gun if you don't have a receipt?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Training and licensing has never been a requirement in Louisiana to openly carry a handgun. As this has not caused any big problems, it's safe to say this is good public policy. But it is completely illogical that the same people suddenly must be trained and licensed in order to to carry one concealed. That criminals might benefit from carrying concealed is irrelevant, because for the most part, they aren't going to conform to a concealed carry law to begin with. The concealed carry law of this state and all others are an unconstitutional restriction of the right to bear arms which may not last much longer. Those folks making money on firearms training better milk it for all it's worth while it lasts.

Last edited:

40caloldtimer

I can hit the orange.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Burnside, LA
    :rolleyes: Nope.

They can take it and run the serial to check stolen, but the only way they can take it and keep is if it is evidence in a crime. IE, you are in handcuffs.

No need for a receipt of anything. Not a bad idea, but definitely not a legal necessity.

Completely right.....it doesn't even have to be theirs as long as it is not illegal i.e. con with gun or stolen or used in a crime at that moment.

Last edited:

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Both instructors said it . Frank Washington and Bobby Font . Some of you know them I'm sure . Bobby is retired and is now the Mayor of Walker .

If you're talking about the Frank Washington I know, I cant see him saying that. I had Capt Washington as the head firearms instructor when I went through the POST Academy. As far as Bobby is concerned I cant say because I dont know him.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you're talking about the Frank Washington I know, I cant see him saying that. I had Capt Washington as the head firearms instructor when I went through the POST Academy. As far as Bobby is concerned I cant say because I dont know him.
    Whatever . Bobby Font said it . Washington didn't dispute it . Believe what you want .

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Both instructors said it . Frank Washington and Bobby Font . Some of you know them I'm sure . Bobby is retired and is now the Mayor of Walker .

And he talks about himself in the third person. "Bobby said" LOL

NOPD did have this practice for the longest time. I'm not sure if its changed. Its not legal to do but that hasn't stopped much from happening in New Orleans.

The agencies I've worked for check for stolen and only seize if its evidence of a crime. BUT in all agencies you have your less educated aka special officers who make us all look bad.

Oh, this may be a repeat, but I didn't have time to read all 17 pages.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    NOPD did have this practice for the longest time. I'm not sure if its changed. Its not legal to do but that hasn't stopped much from happening in New Orleans.

If NOPD tries to do this again, they will be in serious trouble with the Feds. They signed a consent agreement to settle a lawsuit by the NRA and others, admitting that this practice was illegal.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It means when he says something about himself or something he did he says "And what Bobby Font does in this situation is...." rather than saying "And what I would do is...."

LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    I know during like Martial law that no one can take you weapon as long as you are not using unlawfully. But don't be a ass and act crazy about letting a officer check your gun. It goes smooth as long as you go smooth.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Training and licensing has never been a requirement in Louisiana to openly carry a handgun. As this has not caused any big problems, it's safe to say this is good public policy. But it is completely illogical that the same people suddenly must be trained and licensed in order to to carry one concealed. That criminals might benefit from carrying concealed is irrelevant, because for the most part, they aren't going to conform to a concealed carry law to begin with. The concealed carry law of this state and all others are an unconstitutional restriction of the right to bear arms which may not last much longer. Those folks making money on firearms training better milk it for all it's worth while it lasts.

:bravo::bravo:+1

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Col. John Fortunato took a handgun from a 20 yr. old guy on TV on the Steven Seagal show. Told him he wasn't old enough to possess a gun.

I guess in the last about 40 yrs that the Col. has been in LE he hasn't read LRS 14:95.8.

If they do it with the camera's running and put on national TV what goes on with no camera? :dunno:

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Col. John Fortunato took a handgun from a 20 yr. old guy on TV on the Steven Seagal show. Told him he wasn't old enough to possess a gun.

I guess in the last about 40 yrs that the Col. has been in LE he hasn't read LRS 14:95.8.

If they do it with the camera's running and put on national TV what goes on with no camera? :dunno:

a lot:(

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The City/Parish government of Orleans is under a standing (permanent) US Federal Court Order or Injunction to not confiscate any lawfully used or carried firearms. Unsure if this applies to other Parishes.

Remember: Katrina; "NEVER AGAIN"!

leVieux

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    This is really LEO thinking. A driver not telling an LEO that he has a gun in the car has nothing to do with hiding it. It is none of the LEO's business unless the driver is in a position to grab it. If the driver is outside getting a ticket and there is no one in the car (90% of my driving), why would the driver answer any question about what is in the car. If the LEO has probable cause, he can get a warrant. Be polite - "No sir, I don't know why you stopped me. Thank you officer. Have a nice day." Answering questions really does nothing to help you.

Techinically no....

Supremem Court has ruled in the last year that, If a gun is present and the person(s) of the vehicle ebing stopped are outside of the vehicle and can "get back to the vehicle compartment", then for Officer safety that gun can be removed and the wingspan of the person(s) can be searched. While the opperating is standing there and can say stop searching.

Then again you have to take into consideration of who, when , where and why you stopped the vehicle. Where I work and the hours, most of the time im looking for dope, guns, stolen cars, felons in poss drugs/guns. Ive never had a case thrown out for retrieving a gun if its in plain view..... with or with out the consent of the driver/passenger.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Out of sight , out of mind . IF the LEO asks , then I'll tell him it's there . Otherwise , he doesn't need to know . Sorry if that's offensive , but that's the way I roll .

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    none taken, but i ask if guns, knives, drugs, rocket launchers, or weapons of mass desctruction are int he vehicle, cause we still haven't foind WMD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom