Can I buy aviation fuel at an airport? Anywhere near Prairieviile?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    If you are going to use AV gas add a lubricant such as top lube or 2 cycle oil as AV gas does not have the same lubricants required in gasoline.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I use 93 octane pump gas in my RMZ450, with Klotz Nitro added to raise it to 105 octane and an anti-enzyme additive to keep it from messing up my jets. Been working great for years. You can also get VP or SUNOCO race fuel for the same purpose, but much more expensive.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I use 93 octane pump gas in my RMZ450, with Klotz Nitro added to raise it to 105 octane and an anti-enzyme additive to keep it from messing up my jets. Been working great for years. You can also get VP or SUNOCO race fuel for the same purpose, but much more expensive.

Have you done anything to raise compression, bigger or more overlap cams, or increase timing? If not, chances are you are wasting money. Running aby higher octane than your engine needs is less efficient and makes less power.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Have you done anything to raise compression, bigger or more overlap cams, or increase timing? If not, chances are you are wasting money. Running aby higher octane than your engine needs is less efficient and makes less power.
    I bought the bike used and the previous owner said it was bone stock but re-jetted the carb for cooler weather. All I know is it runs smoother, stronger and with no popping and cracking on deceleration when I use the higher octane. Had my local mechanic do a top end last summer when it got to 100hrs and he said the piston looked good but it was definately time for rings. Had him put new piston, rings, and a whole new valve train in it just for peace of mind. I don't want it to hiccup on the face of a jump and turn me into a lawn dart.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    What makes gasoline "marine" gasoline?? I have never heard of a fuel specification for "marine" gasoline..
    Not sure about Louisiana but I found this for Florida.

Ethanol Blend Mandate

Beginning December 31, 2010, all gasoline sold or offered for sale in the state by a terminal supplier, importer, blender, or wholesaler must contain 9-10% ethanol by volume (E10). The fuel mandate does not apply to fuel used in aircrafts or watercrafts, fuel sold to a blender, or fuel sold for use in collector vehicles, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, or small engines. If a terminal supplier, importer, blender, or wholesaler is unable to obtain ethanol fuel or E10 at the same or lower price as unblended gasoline, then the covered entity may apply for a waiver. (Reference Florida Statutes526.201-526.207)

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/progs/view_all.php/FL/0

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Wow, so its actually more of a hassle for a station to carry non-ethanol gas than blended... the stuff is horrible for small engines.

That's true.

And ethanol gas is hard on any system that vents to atmosphere and not a carbon or recovery system.

Ethanol is an alcohol which has a high affinity to water. So, ethanol has will absorb more atmospheric water than normal in any fuel system that does not have a carbon canister to pre-absorb water out of the air entering the system. This water then causes faster than normal corrosion in tank and /or carb.

And yes, the stoichiometric ratio of ethanol spiked gas is lower due to ethanol having less btu's than straight has. Therefore, or requires slighlty more fuel per pound of air. Which means a drop in gas mileage. However last time I calculated it, the fact that non ethanol gas is more expensive, it was cheaper to use ethanol gas and suffer the mileage drop than pay the straight gas premium.

For small engines (with atmosphere vented fuel systems) you should definitely keep non ethanol gas on hand. Lawn mowers, tillers, generators, tillers, boats, etc.

Last edited:

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    Ha! That would be quite a task at every fill up! I just stick with the same ol' 89 non ethanol, and run it ALOT! No hesitations, pinging, or crappier mpg than when I HAVE to get regular blended gas.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    5star, where are you getting mid grade non ethanol gasoline??? Do tell!! Anybody know where to get 93 non etoh fuel??? The car in my avatar would love some...

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Man that is excellent to know..not too far from my house at all. Don't go up Old Jefferson that much so I appreciate the info greatly!!

Deuxlatch, thanks for the compliment...I've had it since 1989.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    5star, where are you getting mid grade non ethanol gasoline??? Do tell!! Anybody know where to get 93 non etoh fuel??? The car in my avatar would love some...

There is a Chevron in Springfield on La. 22 that carries premium non-ethanol, 91 octane. I tried a couple of tanks in my Demon and it didn't like it at all, went back to Shell 93 with ethanol.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    What is the difference between automobile, marine and aviation gasoline blends?

Would marine gasoline be a better choice for a 4 stroke dirt bike?

Generally the key difference is marine gas sells for $.50 per gallon more.

Normally only 93 octane is available but is normally ethanol free at least at the fuel docks I have visited. It is the same gasoline and road tax is generally charged unless it is dyed red.

100LL is likely to cause more problems than it solves. In addition its is silly expensive like $5 per gallon. Stick to ethanol free gasoline and add a fuel stabilizer if you store gasoline. Check your engine guide first but many will likewise suggest that you run the gasoline out of the engine when you are going to store the engine.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Chips on Hwy 44, The Village Market on 73 between I-10 and St. Johns church, the station at the corner of 44 and worthy rd (Across from the Shell) all have non ethanol. That's all I've run in my boat and small engines for years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom