Can some of you give me some info on CMP and how to get a Garand from them?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Livingston Parish, Louisiana
    I have been looking at M1 Garands on gun broker for a long time. A piece of junk on there starts at around $850. I have always heard about CMP and how you can get a service grade for around $600 that has been looked over by a employee. Would someone please tell me what I need to do to get one from them? I have looked at CMP's web site and I can't find much info on there. Can you get more than one gun from them? I would love another M1Carbine also. THANKS!

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    The requirements look pretty intimidating, but it's really painless. Download the application, fill it out and get it notarized and send it in with the payment and other documents. It's kept on file for 3 years and if you order more rifles during that time, write "previously provided" on the checklist next to each of the ID, proof of citizenship, shooting activity, and affiliated organization documents. You only need to notarize the first order. Total cost to have a service grade Springfield shipped to my door: $627.96, including the notary's fee. Good Garands are still available but the carbines have really been picked over.

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Livingston Parish, Louisiana
    CMP

I thank all of you for your helpful comments. I just talked to Dan at La Shooting Association and will be joining them today. I looked at the CMP site and it states what all you need.
    I have never been in a "qualified" shoot, but I have completed a La Hunters Safety class with live fire. My question is.... What do I need to send them as proof of this?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I thank all of you for your helpful comments. I just talked to Dan at La Shooting Association and will be joining them today. I looked at the CMP site and it states what all you need.
    I have never been in a "qualified" shoot, but I have completed a La Hunters Safety class with live fire. My question is.... What do I need to send them as proof of this?

Your hunter's safety card. I used my CHP.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Concealed Handgun Permit...make the trip to Anniston. Neighbor and I went last month and came back with 2 Garands. The people working there painlessly guide you through the process and help with selection.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Cliff notes:

Citizenship - either you are or you ain't. Birth certificate or passport provides proof.
    Marksmanship - the CMP has a list of activities (military training, competition, etc.) that meet the requirement.
    Membership - you must belong to an organization that is associated with the CMP. The LSA is a good one or you can join the Garand Collectors Association online.

Gather these documents and make the pilgrimage to Mecca Anniston...or just mail it in. If mailing and you are looking for something specific (serial # range, t-bar rear sight, etc), you can request it in your order and they usually put forth an effort to meet your request.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I just picked up a beautiful, nearly new correct grade HRA with an LMR barrel. There are some handling marks on the stock and wear marks on the bolt and op-rod, but it doesn't look like it has been fired much if at all. The barrel gages new and there are no burnish marks on the op-rod piston or the gas plug. Wood is super tight, but has the proper clearance on the handguards. It is a fantastic example of a rare variation.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    One of the best kept secrets in the rimfire world is the Kimber 82G available from the CMP. If you want a target .22 that is better than this you'll have to step up to a Anschutz. Price an Anschutz and the $600 price tag of the Kimber is a fire sale price.

Three ways I know of to meet the requirements of belonging to a CMP Affiliated Organization is 1: Membership in the LSA. If you're a LA resident and a firearms owner you should be a member anyway. 2: Member in USPSA. Copy of your membership card and a copy of match results is what I used. 3: Participation in an Appleseed shoot. The Shoot Boss will help you with the paperwork at the shoot.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    One of the best kept secrets in the rimfire world is the Kimber 82G available from the CMP. If you want a target .22 that is better than this you'll have to step up to a Anschutz. Price an Anschutz and the $600 price tag of the Kimber is a fire sale price.

Three ways I know of to meet the requirements of belonging to a CMP Affiliated Organization is 1: Membership in the LSA. If you're a LA resident and a firearms owner you should be a member anyway. 2: Member in USPSA. Copy of your membership card and a copy of match results is what I used. 3: Participation in an Appleseed shoot. The Shoot Boss will help you with the paperwork at the shoot.

Order a "rusty" Kimber for $400. If you saw what constitutes "rust" you would be shocked. ;)

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I just picked up a beautiful, nearly new correct grade HRA with an LMR barrel. There are some handling marks on the stock and wear marks on the bolt and op-rod, but it doesn't look like it has been fired much if at all. The barrel gages new and there are no burnish marks on the op-rod piston or the gas plug. Wood is super tight, but has the proper clearance on the handguards. It is a fantastic example of a rare variation.

Pics

Top Bottom