can you protect others with ccw permit ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    Hello all ,i was wondering IF you can you use deadly force if someone is shot in front of you ? but has not turned the gun on you but your in the immediate area .

(Example ) Arizona shooting

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Louisiana RS 14:22

§22. Defense of others

It is justifiable to use force or violence or to kill in the defense of another person when it is reasonably apparent that the person attacked could have justifiably used such means himself, and when it is reasonably believed that such intervention is necessary to protect the other person.
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78358

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    Got It , Thx BearIT, when i seen the news about that turd in Arizona the 1st thing that came to mind was what would i do . I know i wouldn't run with helpless people getting shot around me and i have a weapon

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Got It , Thx BearIT, when i seen the news about that turd in Arizona the 1st thing that came to mind was what would i do . I know i wouldn't run with helpless people getting shot around me and i have a weapon

One of the news reports I saw they interviewed a guy who was shopping. He was a ccw and carrying. By the time he showed up the "turd" was being handled. It happens in a split second so it is worth at least thinking about it in the case you are ever faced with something bad.

I don't know numbers but AZ has a lot of folks who carry due to the drug smugglers and the crime that goes with that.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    make sure you know what you are doing. you pull out a gun and shoot the perp and some other ccw who doesnt realize the situation blasts you thinking you are the culprit.

another scenario is the cops pulling up and seeing you with a gun and shoot first and ask questions later.

neither a good outcome for you.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    One of the news reports I saw they interviewed a guy who was shopping. He was a ccw and carrying. By the time he showed up the "turd" was being handled. It happens in a split second so it is worth at least thinking about it in the case you are ever faced with something bad.
    [YOUTUBE]nUmmOWL05r8[/YOUTUBE]

:)

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    A CHP doesn't give you any authority other than to carry concealed in certain places.

Understood. Just a what if discussion. Not saying you should or should not do anything. Every situation is different and split second decisions are made. I think it is healthy to at least consider what you can / can't do and what your reactions might be.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Understood. Just a what if discussion. Not saying you should or should not do anything. Every situation is different and split second decisions are made. I think it is healthy to at least consider what you can / can't do and what your reactions might be.

I understand what you're saying but the title to the thread is.

can you protect others with ccw permit?

That's why I gave that answer.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    There are a lot of variables that come in to play before using force or deadly force on behalf of someone else and would probably make a better witness in most cases. Something like a mass public shooting does make it a little clearer, but even the guy in the video came close to shooting the wrong person.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Using deadly force to protect someone else is not only a ccw right. Is that correct? "Right" might not be the correct word but.... even if you dont carry ccw you can protect anothers life with deadly force if need be.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Using deadly force to protect someone else is not only a ccw right. Is that correct? "Right" might not be the correct word but.... even if you dont carry ccw you can protect anothers life with deadly force if need be.

as opposed to calling it a right, I think we could say it would be defensible.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    in a situation like the one in arizona, i would worry about hitting someone other than my target. that many people running around in fear = a bad situation for a good guy.

No kidding. That's the scariest part.

"Know what is beyond your target."

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Although you "can" protect someone else under Louisiana Law, I don't know how advisable that is. Heroes generally end up dying or being sued into poverty. Every now and again, they get to live happily ever after with no consequences, but that is becoming more rare these days. Unfortunately, our litigious society makes being sued into poverty more of a reality than living happily ever after.

Granted, I am not an attorney nor do I play one on the internet so this is just an observation. I'd just hate to be on the receiving end of the attorney representing the family who went on television crying and saying "My baby wouldn't hurt nobody."

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It's NOT a Responsibility neither a Duty for private citizens, eventhough the statues does "allow" you to intervene at the end of the day YOU will take the decition. This decition will not only affect you but also your family members and you financial stability so make sure before you are a weekend hero that you have taken all this factors into consideration.

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    Yes , My post title is off my point but you guys get what im asking , now - im not a dunce with a firearm and never been a weekend warrior nor do i want to be a hero , but i do know my nature and yes EVERY confrontation will be different and the consequences of those actions will have outcomes that may affect all around us .

guess i should have named post WHAT IF

questions about my instructor and training where mention , well lets just say that i do have training by very good instructors , i just didn't know about LA. law on this situation .

Thank You for all replies

Top Bottom