Cannon gun safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    Batteries,water and electronics don't have any effect on me getting into my safe. Precisely the reason I own the old school dial type.
    1a509c763ec3b6be013fba9ba4b43b15.jpg
    as a matter of fact I just bought another one
    7afcf1f07d6d22e806704b86cefbd756.jpg

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    There was a thread after 16 floods about this happening. There is a plug and play dial that fits the electronic lock that may help you decide if you want to keep it .
    BTW, I got a smoking deal on one that cannon had sent a replacement out for. They said no warranty is on it anymore, but I use it and feel it will keep most opportunist thief away.
    I suspect cannon will send a replacement safe and tell you to keep the old or do what you want with it.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Batteries,water and electronics don't have any effect on me getting into my safe. Precisely the reason I own the old school dial type.
    1a509c763ec3b6be013fba9ba4b43b15.jpg
    as a matter of fact I just bought another one
    7afcf1f07d6d22e806704b86cefbd756.jpg

To think, when I purchased my Liberty, I was made fun of by the guys who delivered it because I went with the old school dial versus the electronic keypad. I said "What happens to that keypad if we get hit by an EMP?" While, I know if that situation happens, we will have bigger problems, but I will surely want to be able to get to my guns!

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    Yeah emp or like water getting on it...and don't the keypads just pop off on some exposing the wire? A theif could just cut it or jerk it out and cause a real headache...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

kurzninja

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    LaPlace, LA
    I have a Fortress brand safe I bought from Tractor Supply a few years ago. I know they say you aren't supposed to and you need to bolt it to the ground, but I kept the metal delivery "feet" on it which raises it off the floor a few inches. Unfortunately, my house flooded and water still got into the bottom of my safe and saturated the carpet lining on the bottom. I don't know how long the standing water was in my home but the fabric lining was still wet. I eventually found mold growing over some of it near the bottom. My shotgun barrel and magazine tube now have a nice light little sheen of rust right near the receiver. I tried removing the magazine tube by hand and was unable to turn it, I didn't try using any tools yet. The rest of the internals looked ok after taking it apart. Should I be worried about the function of this shotgun? It's a Mossberg 500. Also, is it possible to sand some of the rust off and clean it up safely?

My handguns inside didn't seem affected by the persistent moisture that I can tell, and my ARs only seemed to have some superficial rust on some of the screws like the Mlok screws on the handguard. I took apart and inspected the internals and they appear to be unaffected. Should I be concerned about something I may be missing?

Also, what should I do about my safe? Is it worth trying to clean the carpet lining and salvage the safe since it had mold on it? I sprayed it down with some Microban and the mold seems to have disappeared for now but I haven't had time to inspect it too closely.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Yeah emp or like water getting on it...and don't the keypads just pop off on some exposing the wire? A theif could just cut it or jerk it out and cause a real headache...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No headache . Cannon will pay to have it opened and repaired / replaced .

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have a Fortress brand safe I bought from Tractor Supply a few years ago. I know they say you aren't supposed to and you need to bolt it to the ground, but I kept the metal delivery "feet" on it which raises it off the floor a few inches. Unfortunately, my house flooded and water still got into the bottom of my safe and saturated the carpet lining on the bottom. I don't know how long the standing water was in my home but the fabric lining was still wet. I eventually found mold growing over some of it near the bottom. My shotgun barrel and magazine tube now have a nice light little sheen of rust right near the receiver. I tried removing the magazine tube by hand and was unable to turn it, I didn't try using any tools yet. The rest of the internals looked ok after taking it apart. Should I be worried about the function of this shotgun? It's a Mossberg 500. Also, is it possible to sand some of the rust off and clean it up safely?

My handguns inside didn't seem affected by the persistent moisture that I can tell, and my ARs only seemed to have some superficial rust on some of the screws like the Mlok screws on the handguard. I took apart and inspected the internals and they appear to be unaffected. Should I be concerned about something I may be missing?

Also, what should I do about my safe? Is it worth trying to clean the carpet lining and salvage the safe since it had mold on it? I sprayed it down with some Microban and the mold seems to have disappeared for now but I haven't had time to inspect it too closely.

DO NOT SAND GUNS

If you can take the guns apart, order a carding brush from Brownells. Boil the rusted parts in distilled water. Lightly brush the effected areas with the carding brush. Oil

If you can't take things apart, oil the metal parts liberally, but not the wood. Take wood off if necessary.

Get the firearms to a gunsmith that specializes in conservation.

Sounds like your stuff is basically OK.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    DO NOT SAND GUNS

If you can take the guns apart, order a carding brush from Brownells. Boil the rusted parts in distilled water. Lightly brush the effected areas with the carding brush. Oil

If you can't take things apart, oil the metal parts liberally, but not the wood. Take wood off if necessary.

Get the firearms to a gunsmith that specializes in conservation.

Sounds like your stuff is basically OK.

Totally agree, this won’t repair pitting, that ship has sailed. But you’ll be amazed how much gun blue is still present if you don’t screw it up not knowing what you’re doing.

Also reverse electrolysis works very well to remove rust and preserve the finish. This is one of my methods I’ve done several times.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom