Can't decide what gun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    Ok. I've been looking and looking and am down to either a H&K P7 or a 3.5" or 4" 1911.

I just can't decide what I want as a carry gun. I will probably be buying a P7 anyway because I think they are cool but am not sure if I want to carry it.

I love my 5" 1911 I use at the range but am scared that I won't be able to control a small 1911. I almost bought a Colt New Agent tonight but would rather an officers or a springfield loaded ultra-compact, or champion.

How do you 1911 guys like the smaller ones?

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks. I've looked at the defenders online. They are nice too. Did yours have the rubber grips with the finger grips?

I have the wood with rubber finger grips on my full size 1911 and find it helps a lot.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Carried a first gen Kimber Pro carry (4") for 4-5 years.

No problems.

I dated several 5 foot tall under 100lbs chicks who had no problems shooting it in that time period.

I'd offer to let you shoot it, but right now a 5'4" grandmother is using it.

If you go below a 4" barrel on a 1911 you are almost certain to have reliability problems.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    yea, it came with the rubber grips. I replaced them a while back with regular wooden checkered grips. I suppose it was more for aesthetics...

IMHO you would be happier with Kimber. Kimber was my first choice but I couldn't afford it at the time.

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    I'll look into the kimbers I really don't know too much about them. I really like the springfields I've seen. The only kimber I looked at in person had an alloy frame where the springfield is all stainless steel, and cheaper. :) Plus the springfield custom shop will do just about anything you want done to it for a reasonable price.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I've got a Springfield 1911 GI model w/ a 4" barrel. I love the thing. It is pretty big if you're going to carry it, but I dont have any problem handling it (As a small guy). The GI is on the cheaper end, due to a lack of funding at the time of purchase, but it seems to function flawlessly after a few mishaps during the first few hundred rounds.

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    I went with a H&K PSP. It is a Grade A police trade in from CDNN.

Jim's had one but it had more wear on it than the pics i've seen from the CDNN guns and they wanted $899 for it which was considerably more than CDNN at $674.

I really don't know if this is going to be a carry gun or not.

I still want to check out the Springfield Loaded models but even the internet stores don't have them in stock.

For those interested I'm using St. Tammany Arms and Range for the transfer, they charge $25. I called J&J in Ponchatoula but I think they've closed shop. When I called the line had been disconnected and they failed to respond to my e-mail. They had e-mailed me last month to give me some prices so I know they were around then.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I love my springfield loaded....

For a carry gun think light. My keltec goes everywhere with me. I used to carry a S&W 469 but even that was kinda heavy (including 13 rds of 9mm). The smith now goes w/ my wife. I carry the .380 most of the time, unless I'm going somewhere where I think I might need more. If the gun's not comfortable I ended up saying things like, I'm not going anywhere special, I'll leave it in the truck.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I went with a H&K PSP. It is a Grade A police trade in from CDNN.

Jim's had one but it had more wear on it than the pics i've seen from the CDNN guns and they wanted $899 for it which was considerably more than CDNN at $674.

I really don't know if this is going to be a carry gun or not.

I still want to check out the Springfield Loaded models but even the internet stores don't have them in stock.

For those interested I'm using St. Tammany Arms and Range for the transfer, they charge $25. I called J&J in Ponchatoula but I think they've closed shop. When I called the line had been disconnected and they failed to respond to my e-mail. They had e-mailed me last month to give me some prices so I know they were around then.

What's CDNN?

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    cdnninvestments.com

download the catalog, they no longer put handgun prices in it so you have to call now for prices.

My salesguy was Steve, he was really helpful and patient. I called another time and got some guy that was rushing me off the phone so I will use Steve from now on.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    As the owner of many 1911s, and I've built two, for real built, 90 hours by hand - I'll never, ever own a 1911 with a barrel shorter than 4", and I prefer 4.25".
    I agree mostly with that statement. The 1911 design just doesn't usually perform well in sub-4" configurations. I'm utterly confident in my Wilson Sentinel, but I paid a hefty price for the privilege. I personally wouldn't carry any other sub-4" 1911, but the Sentinel is a good choice if you just must have a small 1911...like I did. :D

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I own a Defender and for a 3" barrel 1911 it is suprisingly accurate. Assembly after cleaning is a bear so I don't shoot it as much as my XD 45 compact.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Fed hardball fine, but I could not get behind the timing issues that are inherent to a 3.5" gun. There are so many things that have to work just right every time - no room for error, period. No amount of money can overcome the physics and timing issue.

I decided that wasn't for me. I have stuck with the 4.25" - 5" guns.
    That Yost is a friggin' work of art. I hear ya though, small 1911s don't inspire lots of confidence, and if you're not confident in your weapon.... :hs:

Slow

I Support Human Culling
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    what exactly are the problems with sub 4'' 1911's? i have never really understood why some people love them and some people say they have reliability issues.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Simply put, the 1911 was mechanically designed as a 5" gun. Cutting down slide weight and length can affect the timing of the action, which affects ejection and feeding reliability. Not really a big deal on the 4" and up guns, but anything under 4" and it gets tricky to make 'em run right without serious reengineering.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    +1 for the 4.25" 1911
    IMG_0009.jpg

jebsr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    Winnsboro, La
    Have several Kimber compacts and pro carry (commander size) and love them all. All very relialble. Love Them.

Also has a couple of Kahrs and they are very reliable and carry well.

Good Shooting

Top Bottom