Capsized liftboat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    I would like to know exactly what happened. Some watertight doors or hatches must of been open. That was some really bad weather.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I would like to know exactly what happened. Some watertight doors or hatches must of been open. That was some really bad weather.

Weather came in tougher than anticipated and rolled it over. They have two more levels to check, including the galley which is where most service hands hang out. Hoping there is some air pockets in there..

Have two friends still unaccounted for from when I worked there, so hoping for the best

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Weather came in tougher than anticipated and rolled it over. They have two more levels to check, including the galley which is where most service hands hang out. Hoping there is some air pockets in there..

Have two friends still unaccounted for from when I worked there, so hoping for the best

I realize the weather was the main factor, but there must of been other contributing factors. One question is why didn't they stop and jack the boat up. I know it got really rough really quick.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I haven't been on that many lift boats, but jacking up isn't that quick, probably about 12 feet a minute, in ideal conditions. Jacking up, or down, also requires everyone on board to be on deck. No one is allowed to remain inside, except the navigation crew. I'm assuming there are also some issues with jacking up in unknown waters, where you have no idea what's below the boat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk Pro

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I realize the weather was the main factor, but there must of been other contributing factors. One question is why didn't they stop and jack the boat up. I know it got really rough really quick.

I was discussing that with my dad. He worked in the pipeline industry for 42 years and that area has pipelines everywhere, you cannot jack one of those down just anywhere.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I was thinking of the Battleships after the Pearl Harbor attack. If I remember right two were capsized and sailors were trapped & tapping on the hull. There is no tapping coming from the lift boat.
    Pray for them & their families.

Top Bottom