CarFax, anyone? (ALL GONE)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'll mention this now that they are gone.... relying solely on CarFax is useless. I PERSONALLY know of two vehicles that I've seen with obvious severe damage that did not show on CarFax.

One was a Chevy Trailblazer on AllStar Chevy's used lot - first clue was the difference in "orange peel" texture on the front bumper from the other Trailblazer it was next to, then I saw the inner fenderwell had GM part number sticker on it - not original (at least it was a genuine GM part...), raised hood and the entire surface area under the hood had one coat of light paint, not clear - from the factory those parts should have been painted the same as the exterior. The truck had the entire front clip replaced

The other was a 07 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500HD, everything looked fine... until we pulled the interior panels on the pass. side, the cab's structure was crumpled. After more investigation we were able to find the floor in the rear wasn't straight, the fender flares were painted to the the truck, over spray all over, etc. The truck took a good lick on the passenger side and the integrity of the cab was compromised.

just a reminder..... those things don't tell you everything.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Aren't they guranteed to where if you do find something not reported they compensate you are something?
    they lead you to believe that, but there's so many holes in their guarantee that it's pathetic. The Sierra mentioned above was purchased and brought home from Alabama. When the damage was discovered the buyer arranged to return the truck, in the meantime he contacted CarFax with pictures and a full write up of what he found with the truck, not looking for any compensation, just for them to attach it to the file for that VIN# so no one else got stuck with it... CarFax rejected his request to attach the info he complied b/c he was not a body shop, police report or insurance company. That alone proves to me that they really don't care about how accurate their reports are, just as long as they can sell them.

At the same time, notice and vehicle 2005 and older that was registered in S. La. has a note that the vehicle was in the region and is a "possible" flood car from the hurricanes :rolleyes: My truck was high and tight in my enclosed garage 4 ft above the 100 yr. flood plain.

The only reported damage you will find is the honest people who went through a reputable body shop and insurance, so chances are the repair work was done right or not at all. On the other side, the damage that's not in the report was fixed probably at home or as a "quick side job" body shop and the question of whether a quality repair was made comes up.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom