Carry w/o permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BasinSniper

Bandolier
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What are the risks of concealed carry without a permit?

is it legal to have a loaded pistol in console/glove box/seat of your car?? Also, for open carry, is any holster legal?

I talked to a guy who said he carries in bars, etc. and that your better off not even having a permit in this case.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Carry concealed w/o permit: Don't do it.
    Carrying in your vehicle: You can have a loaded pistol anywhere in your car except concealed on your person unless you have a CHP.

As for your friend telling you you're better of carrying in a bar w/o a permit, since when is it better to break two laws instead of one? Carry concealed w/ a permit in a bar says you use poor judgement. Carrying concealed in a bar w/o a permit says I'm up to no good.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    In Louisiana you need no permit for a loaded pistol in your vehicle.

I'm sure someone will cite the specific offense, but I believe it is a hefty crime to carry concealed w/o a permit.

The 2nd Amendment should protect our right to bear arms, whether or not they are concealed or whether or not they're fully automatic, but in reality in Louisiana you're going to go to prison.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    The guy you talked to is a total ass and he has a jail cell with his name on it.

You can conceal in your car.....anywhere you want.

Open Carry is okay in this state also.

BasinSniper

Bandolier
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That jmcrawf1 kid sure is smart.

As noted, you can roller disco in your car with a gun-disco ball and it is all good.

The risk of caryring without a permit is you go to jail and get ass raped.

:rofl: keyboard please

seriously guys thanks for the info i'm not trolling honest

BasinSniper

Bandolier
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    if i read the info from the link correctly the first offense is a misdemeanor which would not result in loss of gun ownership privledges?

Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    if i read the info from the link correctly the first offense is a misdemeanor which would not result in loss of gun ownership privledges?

Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

It would certainly result in the loss of concealed carry privelages.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Ummm, j frame in front pocket of tight jeans and "is that a little guy?" ????? Sorry, just beating dawg to the punch, so to speak. :D

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana

Misdemeanor at the very least.

is it legal to have a loaded pistol in console/glove box/seat of your car??

Yes, anywhere in your car in any form (open or concealed, loaded or not), including on your person (but NOT concealed if you step out of the car and do not have a permit. I'd suggest explaining to the officer & asking for a supervisor to be called. I have heard of people doing that, and it was fine.).

Also, for open carry, is any holster legal?

Yes, as long as it is plainly obvious that it is a firearm. Suggest holster with some sory of retention and a covered trigger guard if OCing.

I talked to a guy who said he carries in bars, etc. and that your better off not even having a permit in this case.

I'm not sure about that. With a CHP a person would face losing it at the very least, unless it was a pro-2nd amendment LEO who believes that patrons should be allowed to carry in bars. LEO discretion. I'm not sure, ask a lawyer, but I think that if a person works for/manages a bar, and the owner requires/requests that they carry, they can carry since it is in the scope of their duties at work.

My 2 cents, might not be all correct, might not be any that are correct.

Last edited:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    This issue will one day have it's day in court, the big court. There is absolutely no substantial and compelling state interest served by the registration of people who carry concealed handguns. There is virtually no difference in gun skills between concealed and open carry, for which no requirement is imposed for training and licensing. There is no valid early case history in the nation for regulation of concealed weapons. Concealed carry is just a legislative and bureaucratic smoke and mirrors shell game being played on very shakey ground. I'm just sayin'...

silver

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    St.Martinville

is it legal to have a loaded pistol in console/glove box/seat of your car?? Also, for open carry, is any holster legal?

Been answered already but yes you can.

I talked to a guy who said he carries in bars, etc. and that your better off not even having a permit in this case

I think what he means is that you would be violating the conditions of your CHP if you were in a bar with a weapon. So by not having a CHP he thinks he is better off. But the felony charges he is about to get will make it difficult to acquire a permit in the future.Everyone has there own opinion but I wouldn't do it, but I have a CHP wouldn't put my self in that position

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    If you aren't a jackass about it, there will be no harm done. Follow the same rules that everyone else has to abide by, and you'll be fine.

There's a reason why it's called CONCEALED carry ;)

If you plan on selling drugs, just carry the gun in your hand so they know that you mean business :D:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom