Carrying while hiking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I've submitted for my permit so it will be a moot point in the somewhat near-distant future, but what are the rules for carrying without a permit while you're hiking in the woods? I remember going camping/hiking with my dad, we always had guns with us, but that was in Oregon. Any tips here would be helpful.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thank you for that. However, I will not have my permit when I go in a couple weeks. I would like to have my pistol or rifle with me. Open carried if at all possible. I went to the us parks site but couldn't find a contact number for that area.

Just want to be sure I can carry a gun with me to fend off bears and the like.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Sorry forgot the , in that

ex, brother ...

Rofl. Roger that. My wife and I are still together, but we split for a couple months a couple years ago... she was a completely different person. Women are nuts. (No offense to the women on here... what am I saying, you probably aren't sane enough to understand... :P )

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    As of Feb 22, 2010 its legal to carry a firearm in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges but you must conform to the laws of the state in which the park is located. If open carry is allowed in that state then its allowed in the park. If a CC permit is required to carry conceled then you must have a CC permit to carry conceled in the park. I've been hiking for years and I almost always carry, discretely. I'm sure i've broken the law a time or two but I'd rather pay the fine and enjoy a long life rather than fall victim to some crazed meth head who's lab i've stumbled across deep in the woods.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    One thing to keep in mind with the national parks. If there are any buildings there, like a visitors center, those are federal buildings, with federal employees inside.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The problem is I won't have my permit until March or so. So I was wondering what the laws were about having a gun with you (open carry) while you're out camping/hiking in AR.

As of late last year Arkansas was one of six states where open carry is still against the law even with a CCP. A bill was introduced to change that ruling but i couldn't find it's current status. Every open carry map still shows Arkansas as a non open carry state so the only way you could legally carry at the Richland Campgrounds would be conceled with a CCP and only because it's part of the U.S. Forest Service.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom