Carrying while hiking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    These laws are just so illogical to me. Pretty sure arkansas has bears, but it's illegal to carry firearms openly in the forest? Blegh.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    A number of legislators are working to change the law and it looks like it will happen this year. On the trails in a crowded park I don't open carry anyway ...even if it's legal....it upsets a lot of folks. I just keep it in the side water bottle pockets on my backpack or in my pocket. You won't have any problems with the black bears in Arkansas...they always run away as soon as they see you.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Yeah. We're holding off on the AR trip anyways. Temps dropped into the 20's at night in the last week. Not too much fun with little ones. Headed to MS instead. Contacted the people there trying to find out the same, but so far... nothing.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Yes Arkansas can be a little much if you're going with little ones, especially this time of year, been there, tried that. Closer to you Bogue Chitto SP, Percy Quinn SP, or The Black Creek area would be better choices. If you get to Arkansas w/o very small kids you have to backpack the Eagle Rock Loop trail. Hands down the best and most popular trail in the state. About two years ago Backpacker magazine profiled what they considered to be the most beautiful campsites in the entire U.S. and a site along this trail made the top three and was featured on the magazine cover for that month. It's 28 miles if you hike the whole loop and you'll spend 2-3 nights on the trail.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Yes Arkansas can be a little much if you're going with little ones, especially this time of year, been there, tried that. Closer to you Bogue Chitto SP, Percy Quinn SP, or The Black Creek area would be better choices. If you get to Arkansas w/o very small kids you have to backpack the Eagle Rock Loop trail. Hands down the best and most popular trail in the state. About two years ago Backpacker magazine profiled what they considered to be the most beautiful campsites in the entire U.S. and a site along this trail made the top three and was featured on the magazine cover for that month. It's 28 miles if you hike the whole loop and you'll spend 2-3 nights on the trail.

Going to be a while before I have time for that. But sounds like a good time with me and my old man. Set to hit his retirement after 30 years in the Navy in 2014.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    As of Feb 22, 2010 its legal to carry a firearm in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges but you must conform to the laws of the state in which the park is located. If open carry is allowed in that state then its allowed in the park. If a CC permit is required to carry conceled then you must have a CC permit to carry conceled in the park. I've been hiking for years and I almost always carry, discretely. I'm sure i've broken the law a time or two but I'd rather pay the fine and enjoy a long life rather than fall victim to some crazed meth head who's lab i've stumbled across deep in the woods.

Exactly. When you are hiking in remote areas there will be no one to protect you but yourself. You never know what 2 or 4 legged critters are out there that could cause you serious trouble.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I've carried in West Texas in a National Park and it certainly makes you much more comfortable to be packing. Not so worried about the animals,
    just the humans.

RisingRebel

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette Louisiana
    I've submitted for my permit so it will be a moot point in the somewhat near-distant future, but what are the rules for carrying without a permit while you're hiking in the woods? I remember going camping/hiking with my dad, we always had guns with us, but that was in Oregon. Any tips here would be helpful.

Free men don't ask permission to carry a gun

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Arkansas gun laws kind of suck all around. No loaded handguns in your car without a ccp. No loaded long guns in your vehicle even with a ccp. You can buy a machinegun (all NFA laws apply) but if you're caught with it anywhere but your property that's a felony.

And even their ccp process is less of a burden than Louisiana's...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom