Carrying without permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Misdemeanor, every time, if just by itself. Involvement in violent crime or drug crime brings enhancements to reach felony grade. Just going around toting concealed, you could pick up one misdemeanor after another.
    https://tenor.com/view/the-breakfas...nt-another-one-just-say-the-word-gif-16700503

Unless you are convicted on a 3rd time. Then it’s a felony I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Unless you are convicted on a 3rd time. Then it’s a felony I believe

If during commission of violent crime or drug crime as specified in statute (full text on first page of posts). Only misdemeanor by itself, no provision for increased penalty for multiple convictions if the only base offense is carrying in violation of the statute alone.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Misdemeanor? You only get a ticket in NY city for committing assault and battery! Even if you do commit an arresting offense you don't even need bail! :eek3:

In the last 10 years I have NEVER been asked if I was carrying a weapon. I was asked if there were weapons in my vehicle by a trooper who pulled me over to remind of the speed limit 9 years ago, and I volunteered my CC permission slip to a JP officer after he noticed me taking an illegal left turn and wanted to discuss it.

So other than that, I guess it's true; unless you are a criminal; concealed is concealed! Doesn't seem to be much reason to worry about permission here unless you intend on fudging the traffic laws here and there. :dogkeke:

Nonetheless, over ride this douche's veto, and none of us will have to worry about it!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If during commission of violent crime or drug crime as specified in statute (full text on first page of posts). Only misdemeanor by itself, no provision for increased penalty for multiple convictions if the only base offense is carrying in violation of the statute alone.

I don't see where the law explicitly states that. In fat, it seems to suggest the opposite. Section C provides for a felony after the first conviction but doesn't mention that it applies to only B2, suggesting it applies to all of Section B, which includes if the only base offense is carrying in violation of the statute alone.

B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than two years, or both. Any sentence issued pursuant to the provisions of this Paragraph and any sentence issued pursuant to a violation of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) shall be served consecutively.

C. On a second conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than five years.

D. On third and subsequent convictions, the offender shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than ten years without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.

E. If the offender uses, possesses, or has under his immediate control any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence or while unlawfully in the possession of a controlled dangerous substance except the possession of fourteen grams or less of marijuana, or during the unlawful sale or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, the offender shall be fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not less than five nor more than ten years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty years nor more than thirty years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Question is , if Biden or let's just say Edwards makes it illegal to own ARs or carry any gun in your veh . how many cops are going to say " the law is the law " and arrest you if you are caught with one ? I say all of the ones who would arrest you for carrying concealed without a permit now . Some cops believe your second amendment rights end when the local or state law says you can be arrested for exercising those rights .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
    The vast majority will. If you think anything different your completely wrong. Just because you know some cops or have some cops that are friends and like guns does not mean that’s the view of the whole department. The LEO you may come in contact here MAY be one of the ones to let it slide but at the end of the day I wouldn’t put it past any of them when a job and living is on the line.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I think some people here might be surprised by the number of BS members who actually carry without a permit.
    Most everyone I know has from time to time concealed carried without a permit. I carried everywhere from S'port to New orleans regularly and it never became a problem because I understood concealed meant concealed . I always assumed most everyone else carried also .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Most everyone I know has from time to time concealed carried without a permit. I carried everywhere from S'port to New orleans regularly and it never became a problem because I understood concealed meant concealed . I always assumed most everyone else carried also .

If you were pulled over while carrying concealed in Louisiana I would think you’d be just fine considering you can legally conceal in your house or on your own property and your car is considered an extension of your home. Getting out is when it could potentially become an issue. At least that’s how I’m interpreting the law.

also like you just about everyone I know who is into firearms has carried without a permit or is still currently doing so with the exception of 1 who is newer to firearms I believe he told me he open carried when he felt he needed to carry until his permit came in.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

What other illegal activities were you a part of? :hsugh:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you were pulled over while carrying concealed in Louisiana I would think you’d be just fine considering you can legally conceal in your house or on your own property and your car is considered an extension of your home. Getting out is when it could potentially become an issue. At least that’s how I’m interpreting the law.

also like you just about everyone I know who is into firearms has carried without a permit or is still currently doing so with the exception of 1 who is newer to firearms I believe he told me he open carried when he felt he needed to carry until his permit came in.

It is not legal to carry concealed in your vehicle if you do not have a permit. Please don’t spread this and get someone arrested.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

So the argument of gun laws only apply to law abiding gun owners is a falsehood?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hey Motor, if you noticed someone printing, would that be considered probable cause for a pat down? Just curious...

Or noticed printing in a off-limits area?

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Hey Motor, if you noticed someone printing, would that be considered probable cause for a pat down? Just curious...

Or noticed printing in a off-limits area?

You’re joking right? Aren’t you law enforcement?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    So the argument of gun laws only apply to law abiding gun owners is a falsehood?

I was never stupid enough to believe I could depend on a police officer to be there when I needed one . I also was aware that the criminals did not obey gun laws . I also knew there were some cops out there who were either too stupid to know or knew but overlooked the fact that armed citizens were better than unarmed victims and would go 5 0 if they knew I carried so I took concealed carry to mean exactly that . You do make a point though , gun laws make otherwise lawabiding citizens decided to be helpless victims or become outlaws and illegally carry . Cops that don't want people to carry give citizens cause to not trust cops . After all why would someone in authority want me to be a helpless victim other than maybe they want power over me just like the armed thugs do .

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    What other illegal activities were you a part of? :hsugh:
    Thankfully none . Had the government made exercising any other of my God given rights illegal I would have broken those laws also . And just like some cops would arrest me for carrying , "because it's the law" if the state made worship in church illegal you know some cops would arrest me if I went to church ," because it's the law".

Top Bottom