Case-Colored Steel AR-15 with Walnut Furniture! (?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    cool or weird? I kinda like it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/steel-wood-ar-15-custom-case-colored-tar-15-rifle-from-turnbull-manufacturing-company/

TAR15%20RightW.jpg

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Meh, fugly. **** on a bull. Not a fan of the crossover style there.

Oh, and writers who spew bullcrap like this really turn me off:
    You can’t just use the same casting mold that you use for aluminum and fill it up with steel. The melting point of steel is roughly twice that of aluminum, over 2600 degrees depending on the alloy, and from a metalworking perspective this is like apples and oranges. That is why the Turnbull ARs are… drumroll please, 100% machined from a block of 8620 carbon steel. They do not start with any kind of casting and then work it to shape from there, as you would expect. To give you an idea of how hard that is, to get the clean, elegant lines and curves that you see on this gun, your smartphone most likely took less effort to develop than the TAR-15. Alien technology is almost definitely involved.

It's just... way overboard and really misleading at best. Like there are a whole host of AR15 receivers out there which are machined from billet instead of castings, each with curves of their own. Just silly.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    It's just... way overboard and really misleading at best. Like there are a whole host of AR15 receivers out there which are machined from billet instead of castings, each with curves of their own. Just silly.

I totally agree about the whole "alien technology" thing. Thats ridiculous.

CNC machines can turn out one in steel just as easy as someone casting something in aluminum.

I don't care for the case colored look, although having an AR in satin stainless with wood furniture would be pretty sexy... and heavy too.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Man that is a ugly bitch! I love it though! Love love love it! Don't act like any of you haven't given an ugly girl no lovin at least once in your lives!

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Yeah, what the hell. It's like they started off looking at the specs, saw that it was a billet receiver, and went full retard trying to church up the description. o_O

That said, I'd love to own that rifle. It looks quite awesome. I wouldn't pay that price, however.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Looks terrible with that black barrel and the fugly cut down gas block... Reminds me of an 80s GM car, designed by committe, not by a single person with good taste.

And what is the fascination with making a military gun into something it is not? It was not designed with wood on it for a reason, wood is not the best material to make gun parts out of. If you want a wood and case colored gun Uberti have some nice revos, and I am sure there is something lever action out there as well, and both will look alot better than this.

I understand improving a gun (free float tube on an ar for example), but this one does not improve the ar platform in any way I can see. I guess form follows function for me...

Top Bottom