Case seperation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    While shooting today I hade a case failure. The rimmed base cleanly separated from the round and the bullet lodged 3/4 down the barrel. I was shooting an old marlin lever gun but it appears to be the ammo's fault. It did spook me as it blasted me in the face from the explosion but I was grateful it happened to me rather than the kids.
    This was a golden bullet and once we dislodged it from the barrel, the projectile does look misformed, but I don't remember anything abnormal when loading it. I had the casing base but lost it.
    I have had squib rounds and non firing rounds but have never seen one do this.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I had a lever gun in 38 special that would tear the base from the rest of the casing. Figured out the cause was a dirty chamber and the brass was sticking in the chamber. Never happened while firing. How far down the barrel was the brass, or was it in the chamber?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Brass was right there in the chamber. When I opened the bolt, the base fell out.
    This is a old gun but is regularly fired and maintained. After dislodging the bullet, we fired the gun a few more times with no issues.

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    The only time I ever had that happen was with reloaded ammo. The case had been reloaded too many times. The bullet didn't lodge in the barrel though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom