Cast iron pot/skillet cooking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I'm looking for some good, easy recipes to cook up in a cast iron pot or skillet. I did the jambalya in my pot and they came out great and also did steaks in a skillet which come out awesome everytime. I just want to see what ya'll cook in cast iron and let me know I'm asways looking for something to cook and drink to so share ya'll recipes.

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    I normally cook smothered eggplant or smothered okra with a large sliced onion, can of rotel and medium size shrimp, in my cast iron pot outdoors.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Boulette (meatball) stew is one of my favorites. Mix up some ground meat with chopped onions, bell peppers, garlic and seasoning. Form into small boulettes and brown in a cast iron pot. Once brown, add water and more chopped onions, cover and let simmer for about half hour and serve over rice. For a thicker gravy add flour or corn starch with the water.

Fresh sausage is also among my choices. Same recipe once browned up.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    2f317pkulvoxcz7eqex.jpg

I like DAT me! :}

This is a great recipe and tastes better, I find, when cooked in a cast iron skillet and served hot tableside. I have also served this recipe for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. Whether with fresh cane syrup and butter or fried chicken on the side, there are rarely leftovers!

Ingredients
    1 1/4 cups coarsely ground cornmeal
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup whole milk
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter.

In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk in the milk, buttermilk, and eggs. Whisk in almost all of the melted butter, reserving about 1 tablespoon for the skillet later on.

Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of the hot skillet with the remaining butter. Pour the batter into the skillet and place it in the center of the oven. Bake until the center is firm and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    pesto shrimp pasta

angel hair pasta
    shrimp (raw, shelled)
    pesto (easy to make if you grow basil, buy at the supermarket if you don't)
    minced garlic
    white wine (dry)
    salt/pepper
    olive oil
    butter

cook noodles according to directions and top with pesto

salt and pepper shrimp, and heat olive oil (1tbs.?) and a pad of butter in the skillet. add shrimp and garlic, sauté till almost done. Add white wine (cup?) and cook till reduced to a somewhat thick sauce. put shrimp on noodles and pour sauce over shrimp.

Don't get any on your forehead, or your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it.

I like to add fresh diced garden tomatoes and capers on top as well, but to each their own.

I only cook in cast iron or stainless. really, as far as recipes go, just cook whatever you would normally cook in there, it works great. Clean up is a breeze once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom