Casting Bullets from Lead

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    When you consider the time, money, molds, lead, etc. you will find out that you can buy coated bullets from Bayoubullets.com, cheaper and higher quality, consistantly
    Love me some bayoubullets.net I use them exclusively for .30 Carbine. I like them for .45 ACP also. I cast just about everything else. I've more lead than I'll ever use, and casting is a great winter project.
    Working on loading 5K .358 158gr LSWC that I made before it got hot out.

Casting my own also gives me other capabilities. I carry a Dan Wesson with 215gr. LSWCs in .357mag. for bear when I travel.
    I cast those bullets out of pure linotype. They're hard as nails. Then I water drop them to give them a surface temper.
    I don't think you could buy a bullet like that. I've been wrong before tho, . . .

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    When you consider the time, money, molds, lead, etc. you will find out that you can buy coated bullets from Bayoubullets.com, cheaper and higher quality, consistantly
    Higher Quality? Cheaper? Please explain how Bayou Bullets are higher quality and cheaper than mine.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I spent a couple of hours there one day and Donnie explained and showed me the start to finish processs/ first off is the lead he uses is a guaranteed mixture/formula , so every bullet is the exact same spec

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I quit casting when my son was born. I didn't want him breathing in the lead fumes. He's 30 now and I never went back to casting. As long as I can buy 9mm for less than $100 a thousand, I'm happy.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Although casting good bullets isn't rocket science ... you need to have the "knack" to do it . Not everyone can master the art and believe you me ... it's as much an art as a science .
    I started in 1967 and have the ability and also enjoy doing it ...
    I can't stand Golf , Tennis or Pickle Ball ... Casting bullets & shooting is My Hobby and I enjoy doing it .
    If you don't enjoy using your hands , not very good at following directions and dont like doing things yourself ... Buy your bullets , Casting isn't for you .
    Gary

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... it's as much an art as a science ...
    The ancient ones that I learned to cast from from have all passed trough to the gun range on the other side.

Each one of those men, when I asked how they knew the pot was hot enough, would tell me to look at the color. To a man, when I asked how they knew the lead was hard enough, would press a thumb nail into a still warm bullet then drop it on the concrete to hear the sound it made.

Today, I have digital controls and thermometers on my pots and molds, fancy art pencil sets, and bhn test kits. After 10 years or so on my own, I am starting to trust the colors and stopped worrying as much about hardness.

Top Bottom