Caught 3 otters on my trapline this weekend...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    I have a trapline about 175 miles North of Anchorage. Every weekend I make the 364 mile round trip to my line where I target Lynx, Marten, Ermine, Fox, Coyote, Wolf, Mink, and the occasional Otter. I generally make the commute with my best friend and trapping partner Steve.

This weekend I pulled my line due to some health issues that my wife is having. When I got done I returned to my truck and met up with Steve who was finishing up his trap check. He asked me if I would follow him to his cabin and help him retrieve some traps and an ice auger. I said "sure..." :D

We arrived at his cabin and as he was getting the stuff he needed I decided to "bomb around" on his lake on my snowmachine. I had made 3 or 4 passes when I noticed something black on the perfect white lake surface. I decided to go check it out and am glad I did. It was a large family of otters eating a muskrat.

Since we were there to hual out stuff I left my guns in the truck. So I went back to the cabin to see if Steve had a .22 on him. He didn't and asked me why. I told him about the otters and asked if he had a 330 conibear trap on him. He said he did, so I told him to come on....

We went back to the hole in the ice and found the otters still there coming up for air every few minutes. At first I figured there were only 2 or 3 becuase thats all I saw when I found them, but later discovered that there were more than 5 or 6.

I proceeded to chop a hole in the ice big enough for the conibear trap and Steve and I set it over the hole and waited. It didn't take long for the big Male to surface and as he stuck his head through the trigger of the trap it went off and I pulled him onto the ice. As I was giving Steve high fives and celebrating, another otter surfaced and hissed and chattered at us.

As quickly as I could I grabbed a snare from my pocket and opened the loop to fit in the hole. As the next otter surfaced I pulled like I was setting the hook on a 10 lbs bass. Out comes the otter, and Steve smacks it with a pair of 330 conibear setters (a tool).... 2 down! :D

Then 2 more otters surfaced through the hole and looked at us, those go under and 2 more come up in their place. That's when we realized that we had a large family of fish killers on our hands.

Since Steve was trying to get another 330 set with the setter tool and we were getting nervous that the otters would leave I threw the snare back over the hole and tried to snare another one. I caught one for a second but before I could get it on the ice it got away.

Finally Steve gets the 330 set and we throw it over the hole just in time for a 3rd and final otter to surface and get caught. After we pulled him on the ice the others resurfaced a few times then left. :rockon:

It was one of the coolest things that I've ever been a part of on the trapline.

We collected our things, jumped on our snowmachines and went back to the truck. The only thing I regret is not having my gun or my camera with me. Something that will NEVER happen again!:(

- Clint

Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    A couple years ago I got charged by a rather large Brown Bear on the Kenai Pennisula while stalking a black bear...

I hit him right between the eyes with my .300 Weatherby at less than 5 yards. I actually jacked another shell in and hit him in the shoulder as he rolled by me...

82j226u.jpg

6op96k6.jpg

The State of Alaska Department of Fish and Game measured this one at 9 feet squared. He had 6" claws and some broken rotten teeth. He was not in a good mood when I met him....

6lcf52b.jpg

After I shot him I yelled "Break yo self *****...." :fawk:

- Clint

J

jayd

What kind of troble did you end up shooting a brownie?
    On Kodiak Island if you get caught with one they will throw the book at you :rolleyes:
    (unless you have one of the few tags alotted each season)

Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    What kind of troble did you end up shooting a brownie?
    On Kodiak Island if you get caught with one they will throw the book at you :rolleyes:
    (unless you have one of the few tags alotted each season)

Well Jayd, to be honest with you, it's rather difficult for Fish and Game to say that you weren't being attacked when there is a bullet hole between the bears eyes.... and if your brother-in-law is a Cop! :D

- Clint

J

jayd

Well Jayd, to be honest with you, it's rather difficult for Fish and Game to say that you weren't being attacked
    - Clint

Your story is alot more exciting than my bear encounter

I was on Kodiak Island in a remote village and was bored so I decided to go 4 wheeling on the numerous trails around town and leading out into the woods
    When I came screaming around a bend in the trail and there was a Brownie
    (largest in the world)
    I slammed on the brakes to keep from hitting him :eek3:
    I stopped short by 25yrds or so
    I don't know who had bigger eyes, me or him:D
    No firearm on me as I wasn't planning on any wildlife encounters and wasn't in the "bush" but on the edge of town (population 200)

I backed out slowly and left him there staring at me

I wonder if he had to go clean his fur?

I know I did :rofl:

Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    I have had a lot of bear encounters,and I've been involved with a bunch of bear kills since I go along with friends when they take a bear. I've been bluff charged 4 times,but for the most part they tear out of the country when they see or smell you. You never know what they'll do, and you are lucky that Brown Bear didn't decide he wanted to attack! There wouldn't have been anything you coulda done...... :eek:

- Clint

rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    Clint, that is really cool! I used to do a lot of trapping (in Texas) back in my younger days -- and back when fur used to be worth something (1970s amd 80s). Never did I witness though an animal actually entering one of my traps. Had a deer (doe) hit one of my coyote snares one time though. I was checking some dryland sets one morning and had a snare at a coyote crossing under a fence. When I was about 30 yards from reaching it, a couple of deer jumped up and one ran right into that snare (she was trying to cross under the fence). As it so happened, I had a doe tag and was glad to get the extra meat (I was in graduate school at the time).

Was in Anchorage 2.5 years ago and had a very enjoyable fishing (halibut) trip out of Seward. Was in Yakatat some 20 years ago. That is sure enough gods country up there -- in the last frontier! Hoping to get back up there one of these days for a coastal black bear hunt. You have any recommendations for a good bear outfitter?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I hate watching things suffer, unless its someone flogging a rapist.

That video made me sad.

Sorry, no one asked me...I know.

Top Bottom