CCP or Not

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I haven't been able to find out anything definitive about concealed carry on Louisiana WMAs after July 4th....I would ASSUME you'd still need a valid CHP in order to carry there concealed, including when no active hunting season in open where centerfire pistols are allowed on the WMA....
    Ha, we still have some draconian laws on the books about carrying a pistol/firearm at night while frogging.
    Yep, you will be getting a ticket CCP or not packing heat while frogging. We going to hell boys!

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ...for instance in my neighborhood constitutional carry is not allowed, the city has wall papered the area as gun free zones....
    I am not arguing any point, just trying to understand what you are saying. Has the City passed an ordinance? "city has wall papered" sounds like they have.

I am talking about the areas with signs listed....
    Not sure what you mean by this. Is there is a list on-line some where detailing places that have some sort of signage posted? What do the signs say?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    You may be able to constitutional carry, but a a licensed permit allows you to carry in a lot more locations and is not an open carry.

for instance in my neighborhood constitutional carry is not allowed, the city has wall papered the area as gun free zones. With a permit and concealed I am allowed.

I have several friends that think they can carry anywhere they want now.

Multiply that by all the areas you travel, get the permit, it’s worth it.
    The law says with the exception of all constitutionally protected activities. Carrying a concealed firearm would fall under that. I see Gretna has them posted everywhere. Seems kinda meaningless.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. These signs are posted throughout Gretna with one directly behind academy sports in between the rouses and Academy. Seems like the city of Gretna is overstepping their boundaries and opening themselves up for some lawsuits.

Attachments

• IMG_6483.jpeg
      IMG_6483.jpeg
      351.9 KB · Views: 29

jpso211

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 21, 2018
    Hammond, LA. area
    You may be able to constitutional carry, but a a licensed permit allows you to carry in a lot more locations and is not an open carry.

for instance in my neighborhood constitutional carry is not allowed, the city has wall papered the area as gun free zones. With a permit and concealed I am allowed.

I have several friends that think they can carry anywhere they want now.

Multiply that by all the areas you travel, get the permit, it’s worth it.
    I'm not looking for an argument so I'm probably going to regret getting into this.

Everyone has their own opinion. If u want to make sure u get the correct information u want go to the source. Call the LA State Police CCP Division...

I'm a Gretna native, like u... But I am on North Shore now since 1980... No more City life for this Old Schooler, lol!

BTW what neighborhood do u live in (Timberlane) that post gun free zones all over it... Those signs invite trouble and allow criminals to not only run free. But they place all u citizens in harms way that live there...
    That's totally ridiculous!!!...
    You just might want to challenge how legal those signs are after July 4th. 2024 once the CCC State Law goes into effect...

*To get back on point:

***Here's the Facts:***
    State Law Overrides Local or City Law

The Role of State Law

The federal and state governments make laws that exist concurrently to create a balance of power. While the Supremacy Clause in the Constitution gives the federal government the power to override some state laws, this power has its limits. States are generally free to create and enforce their own laws so long as they are constitutional.

State laws typically address domestic affairs, and most areas of law are not explicitly given to Congress. The Tenth Amendment of the Constitution gives states the power to govern matters within their borders.

Typically, each state has its own executive, legislative, and judicial branches. States often have a constitution or code, a judicial system, and police power to enforce the law. State laws can address a broad range of legal issues, such as:

• Criminal and court systems
    • Collecting state income or other taxes
    • Family and divorce law
    • Social welfare and aid programs
    • Police and emergency services
    • Maintenance of state highways and roads
    • Local governments and delegating authority
    Generally, if there is a conflict between state and local laws, state laws override municipal ordinances. Additionally, many states allow local courts to handle certain types of disputes within their own municipalities.

Personally, even though I don't need a permit because of the Constitutional Carry State Law as well as being a Vietnam Veteran, I just feel it's safer to have a permit that not...
    It leaves no room for guess work!
    Stay Safe!...

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I am in Old Gretna. They have them in front of Gretna PD and up and down Huey P Long too.

Talking with political officials and LEO they mentioned they were posted for the riff raff.

Some LEO say they have no issues whatsoever with either carry.

The Chief is for concealed carry and pro 2nd amendment.

In fact my 1st CWP class was done in the police precinct.

The point is why put yourself in that position. To possibly be on the wrong side of the law for being too close to a “Zone”.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    It looks like it is part of their local law.
    Sec. 16-106. - Illegal carrying of weapons.

(a)

Illegal carrying of weapons is:

(1)

The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person;

There is no exception if you have a state permit it appears.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I was born and raised there but the folks in power there now seem to lean way left....
    If u allow the people elected to serve u to instead rule over u. Then why did so many of us fight and die for ur freedom if u weren't going to elect people that represent u and ur interest instead of their own...
    Freedom isn't free. Please don't let it be taken for granted and allow such foolishness.
    Stand up for ur rights, They are God given.
    It is ur duty to insure them for yourselves and future generations. Stand the line!
    Vote them out!
    Brother…. Who are you addressing here? I don’t live in Gretna and never have.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm going to "go there" and suggest open carry as a solution. Just tuck in your polo into your slacks and make sure you don't have any facial hair. Everyone will just think you are some sort of fed and give you a wide berth. Driving a dark colored suv will help, especially if it has tint and out of state plates.

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    It looks like it is part of their local law.
    Sec. 16-106. - Illegal carrying of weapons.

(a)

Illegal carrying of weapons is:

(1)

The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person;

There is no exception if you have a state permit it appears.
    I beleive SB194 aka Act 59 takes care of this. 6 months after 8/1/24 it should be gone.

Top Bottom