CCW class cost

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Group of seniors have joined together and want to take the CCW class together. The price we have been quoted is $120 each, discounted from the normal $140 at a local range. An additional $114 will be paid to them for the necessary paperwork, pictures, fingerprinting (I am guessing here) and background check for the actual permit. The range is also suggesting that we apply for a Fla permit as it is cheaper and last for 7 years.
    My question is two-fold. Is the $120-140 reasonable (yes I understand fair market and what the buyer is willing to pay) and has anyone had experience or ideas on with the Fla vs La permits.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You can get it done for cheaper than 120-140, especially if you have a group.

In regards to FL vs LA, there are several schools of thought but for the most part, if you're taking the class, you should get the LA permit. It might be a few years longer but your permit helps the LA CHP unit numbers, some cops look down upon out-of-state permits and you help out your home state in the process.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Group of seniors have joined together and want to take the CCW class together. The price we have been quoted is $120 each, discounted from the normal $140 at a local range. An additional $114 will be paid to them for the necessary paperwork, pictures, fingerprinting (I am guessing here) and background check for the actual permit. The range is also suggesting that we apply for a Fla permit as it is cheaper and last for 7 years.
    My question is two-fold. Is the $120-140 reasonable (yes I understand fair market and what the buyer is willing to pay) and has anyone had experience or ideas on with the Fla vs La permits.

Where are you located? We do have sponsors that do CHP classes.

islp55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Ruby
    I would not get a Fla. CCP. They are so backed up...I read (NRA) they are trying to hire alot of temps to help in Fla. and they have alot of boxes full of request. I thought about it, but realized it was not worth my effort. FYI it does not matter if LEO looks down on out of state CCP...they only enforce the law...they do not make it. If they did un-duely hassle you go see their Sgt., Capt., and last (I mean very last resort) go to IA (internal affairs). I Worked S'port-B'dale wally world LP in the late 80's and 90's---and worked with alot of S'ports and Bossier's finest and a few idiots. If I get a line on something up that way I'll let ya know. I paid 125.00 and it was a private class for 3 of my bud's and me. We would have had to wait until Jan or Feb instead of early Dec. 08. We would have paid less, but we knew each other and wanted it done now!
    Go here: http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip
    You can go to SPD or Caddo SO and get finger printed ( mine was free at RPSO) Be sure and take two pass port photo's with you. Fill out the forms on the LSP site and print 2 copies. Take the three that need to be notarized and do so. Get your training certificate and mail to BR LSP with your MO or cert.check. I shot both semi auto and revolver. Everything is on the site. GL and like stated I will see if I can find something out. JP

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    i would call the local sheriff office and ask them. i did mine at east baton rouge sheriffs range for $60 and they notarized all the paperwork for free.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Thanks to everyone. There are a few Bossier Parish Deputies that belong to the church where we all attend. I'll ask around for other possibilities. Reading from the website, it appears that it would only cost $50 - Senior rate - for 4 years. I don't think the instructor mentioned anything about a discount in Florida.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks to everyone. There are a few Bossier Parish Deputies that belong to the church where we all attend. I'll ask around for other possibilities. Reading from the website, it appears that it would only cost $50 - Senior rate - for 4 years. I don't think the instructor mentioned anything about a discount in Florida.

FL does not have a senior discount ccw, afaik

L

Louisiana Shooter

Last year the legislature realized that the state was losing revenue and changed the law making the Florida permit invalid for many Louisiana Residents. They could easily change the law further making Florida permits invalid for all Louisiana residents. If that happens, you lose all of the money you spent and have to start over. That would be an awfully big hassle and expense to incur by trying to save $7 per year.

L

Louisiana Shooter

L.R.S. 40:1379.3(T)(2) – "A non-resident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension."

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    L.R.S. 40:1379.3(T)(2) – "A non-resident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension."

This is a small population. Only those who were denied here or somewhere else or were revoked would then have their FL permit made invalid. This is because some people have multiple states' permits, so losing one still covers them in other states without this legal clause.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Who's been denied?

L

Louisiana Shooter

This is a small population. Only those who were denied here or somewhere else or were revoked would then have their FL permit made invalid. This is because some people have multiple states' permits, so losing one still covers them in other states without this legal clause.

The tens of thousands of people who were denied permits under 1379.1, before shall issue became the law in 1996 under 1379.3 are covered by this. It doesn't just apply to people denied for cause under 1379.3.

Almost everyone who applied for a permit before 1996 was denied, and each and every one of them is covered by this.

Top Bottom