CCW License and Background Check for new gun purchase

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    After my CHP class, I was informed by a few people that there's a new law in place stating that FBI background checks are no longer needed if a person in Louisiana has a CHP that has been issued or renewed after March of 2015 ...

How true is this and has anyone had personal experience with such?

In my personal experience, I have received a "Proceed" and "Needs Further Review" on many occasions, never have had consecutive "Proceeds" but many "Needs Further Review". This could be a game changer for many of us with the same issue.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    It's not law but an ATF policy.
    https://www.atf.gov/file/11481/download

Picture taken this past Monday

754367785d0f09d9d35e53e2267b1adf.jpg

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    :bravo:
    I can't tell you how many of these Brady checks I have done over the years. I have seen no benefit from any of these redundant Brady checks. We have seen a lot of money wasted subjecting over 99% of gun owners to needless background checks. Hardly anyone is denied and some denials are in error(identity theft.) This is true common sense policy. Permit holders should not have to bother with this Brady crap. I am going to wait till I renew before I buy another gun.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    i suppose this applies to only Point-of-Sale purchases...

what's the ruling on buying guns online? will i be able to have the guns shipped to my FFL of choice and pay the fee for whatever paperwork needs to be filed and be on my way w/o the FFL having to perform a NICS check?

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I used my CCW for a transfer with no problem. I had researched it and the FFL did also on site to double check. You still have to pay the transfer fee and fill out the paperwork. You just don't have to wait on the phone call.

Last edited:

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Federal Law still applies to online purchases, no change, have vendor ship to your FFL and do the required paper work & payment of fee.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

The passage of Act 221 of the 2014 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature amends La. R.S. 40:1379.3 to require the Department of Public Safety to conduct a check on every Concealed Handgun Permit applicant through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pursuant to Act 221 of the 2014 Legislative Session, approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been obtained and possession of a current and valid 5-year Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, issued on or after March 9, 2015 shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t) for the purchase of a firearm, and may be used in lieu of a NICS check. However, as stated in Act 221, possession of a Concealed Handgun Permit that has a Lifetime designation shall not constitute sufficient evidence of the background check pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(t).

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Bought a gun Thursday at Academy and they recorded my CC Permit and did not have to make any phone calls. You would have thought it would have sped up the process but since it is new they took just as long, if not longer, than it would have taken before. You do still have to fill out the first page of the form anyway. Hopefully, the more experienced people will be able to do it much faster thus speeding up the process.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    Just checking . . . looks like the exception to calling it in to the FBI is only for those who have a permit issued on or after March 9, 2015. So, if you have a permit issued before that, this exception would not apply?

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Just checking . . . looks like the exception to calling it in to the FBI is only for those who have a permit issued on or after March 9, 2015. So, if you have a permit issued before that, this exception would not apply?

That's correct. My permit is dated prior to March 9, 2015 and they had to call mine in a few weeks ago.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    Bought a gun Thursday at Academy and they recorded my CC Permit and did not have to make any phone calls. You would have thought it would have sped up the process but since it is new they took just as long, if not longer, than it would have taken before. You do still have to fill out the first page of the form anyway. Hopefully, the more experienced people will be able to do it much faster thus speeding up the process.

The real benefit I see is not having to wait if NICS is down or another event like Sandy Hook where dealers wait for hours to get to an examiner.

Top Bottom