CCW Renewal Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Help Please

What is the reneral of my CCW consist of?
    Is it a hassle,
    Any suggestions?
    Doesn't come up untill early next year just hoping someone who just went through renewal would weight in on this subject!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    You will need to take a renewal class, usually scaled down
    http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#apply
    Renewals:
    1.Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record, approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of their permit to begin the renewal process.
    2.Upon notification, download and complete the Concealed Handgun Permit Application.
    3.Submit the renewal application with a new passport photograph, a new training certificate, a photocopy of your driver's license, and the appropriate fees.
    4.The completed application should be returned to the Department no less than 90 days prior to the expiration of the permit to allow sufficient time for processing.
    5.You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints.
    6.All completed renewal applications must be submitted to:
    Louisiana State Police
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
    PO Box 66375
    Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Last edited:

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    You will be notifiyed by mail of the renewal ,and it is a pain in the ass, but it is what you have to do , so suck it up and do it.I have done it , and Im an old fart ,Im one of the first ones to get the permit , I am no. 160 on the issue list.I have renued at list 3 times.It seems like a dozen times but its all the repettive paper work that sucks.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    You mean I could have shaved thirty days off by taking my application to LSPHQ in person?
    AwJeezCrap.jpg

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Where is the class cheaper and why so if it's the same course? thanks.

it depends. the state does not require the same 9 hours of training for a renewal as it does FOR a initial class. most guys will at least run you through the 3 hour legal block and then take you to shoot. (if they are smart and not just handing out certificates)

A lot of guys just run you though the same course. they charge you less more as a courtesy because they know you have already heard a lot of it. Some people just charge the same and run you through the same course again.

i charge a little less and run you through the same course again because my classes are always changing with the tactics, current events, case law, etc. So, coming to my class again is generally a different experience. That said, sight alignment is sight alignment and trigger control is trigger control.....some things are the same no matter who teaches them, unless they wrap it up and like to put there name on stuff that has been around for 150 years. ;)

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Help Please

What is the reneral of my CCW consist of?
    Is it a hassle,
    Any suggestions?
    Doesn't come up untill early next year just hoping someone who just went through renewal would weight in on this subject!

Thanks in advance
    I've renewed at least 3 times and it is pretty much the same thing each time. My advice, sign up for a class tought by NOLACOP or another instructor who is a member here and you will be taken care of.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I don't read on the LSP website that there is any difference in the course for renewals. I'm not being argumentative, I really just want to understand this difference. I prolly mis read it.....

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't read on the LSP website that there is any difference in the course for renewals. I'm not being argumentative, I really just want to understand this difference. I prolly mis read it.....

NEW APP REQUIRES 9 HOURS OF TRAINING.

RENEWAL HAS NO MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.

I ALSO ASKED THE QUESTION SPECIFICALLY TO LSP, AND THEY ADVISED THAT AS LONG AS THEY SHOOT AND GET TRAINING, THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT WHAT HAS TO BE DONE. HEY HAVE TO COVER ALL THE SAME TOPICS, BUT WITHOUT A TIME MINIMUM, AN UNSCRUPULOUS INSTRUCTOR COULD COVER IT ALL IN 10 MINUTES, LET THEM SHOOT AND BE DONE IN AN HOUR.

MOST GUYS DO SOME ABBREVIATED COURSE. YOU WOULD HOPE SOMEONE WHO WAS TRAINED, WOULD NOT NEED TO HEAR ABOUT SIGHT ALIGNMENT AGAIN.

i GENERALLY ALLOW THEM TO COME A LITTLE LATER IN MY REGULAR CLASS. IF IT IS A GUY I PERSONALLY TRAINED, I WILL ABBREVIATE IT TO A COUPLE HOURS OF LEGAL UPDATES AND SHOOTING. OTHERWISE, SAME COURSE AGAIN.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    If they got through the first four years of permitted carry with a mishap following the mandatory instruction, they probably don't need any further instruction in handguns.

On a further note, it is illogical to begin with that concealed carry would necessitate any training specific to handguns whereas open carry does not.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If they got through the first four years of permitted carry with a mishap following the mandatory instruction, they probably don't need any further instruction in handguns.

On a further note, it is illogical to begin with that concealed carry would necessitate any training specific to handguns whereas open carry does not.

Are you serious?:eek3::rolleyes:

I guess god just gave you knowledge on how to safely handle a firearm right?

Both should require some level of training or certification of safe handling.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    I guess god just gave you knowledge on how to safely handle a firearm right?

Doesn't matter what I know from God. Apparently the framers of the Louisiana Constitution considered firearms training unnecessary for open carry and wrote it that way. There mere fact a handgun is carried concealed does not give rise to special requirements to be met.

Personally, I think nine hours of training is woefully inadequate to qualify one as competent with a handgun. It makes me very nervous when I realize these noobs could be all around me. But, that is the law, so we live with it. Fortunately for us, most people in Louisiana are raised with some familiarity with handguns and are pre qualified before instruction. That is reflected some degree in that handgun permits issued by parish sheriffs are recognized in place of actual training. That policy obviously has some potential cracks in it, but that's another thread.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I renewed in the first quarter of this year. For the OP the process is pretty much the same except you don't have to submit fingerprints again. Do submit in plenty of time before expiration. I submitted 60 days before expiration and got the new permit back two weeks before expiration. I was starting to sweat that it wouldn't arrive before expiration.

A change in the law now allows training taken anytime within the year prior to expiration to count toward the renewal. Get it done early to avoid the mad thrash to find a class in the last 60 to 90 days. With classes backed up it may take that long to find a slot.

My renewal class was a waste of money. The first hour was expounding on how qualified the instructors were. Second hour on this is a pistol and this is a revolver. Bullets (not cartridges) go in here, come out there and sight alignment. The icing was on dropping the slide. Apparently there some doctrine with Glocks that has you grasping the rear of the slide and letting go like a slingshot. OK fine, if you have a Glock. Problem was that they made it a point that this was the ONLY way to drop a slide. Called BS on that. Then those of us who were in for renewals were called out for live fire. 6 out of the class of 40. Did my six Bill Drills and put the stuff away. Next hour was processing paperwork, photos, and the required course certificate. Start to finish 3.5 hours.

Complete waste of money. I wanted to go over deadly force law, tactics, defense mindset, concealed carry law. Stuff that may have changed in the last 4 years. Not which end the bullet comes out which I'm pretty sure hasn't changed in the last 4 years.

I'm seriously considering taking the class again from another instructor just to make sure I'm up to speed without the photo and paperwork. Or finding some other training class that will these basics plus some more advanced work.

Instructors. Granted y'all have a full dance card but once every couple or three months you could put together a renewal only class. Cover law and tactics and leave out the basic handgun stuff. Go do the live fire and be gone in four hours. Have lunch and do a second class the same day. I'd sign up for that.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Doesn't matter what I know from God. Apparently the framers of the Louisiana Constitution considered firearms training unnecessary for open carry and wrote it that way. There mere fact a handgun is carried concealed does not give rise to special requirements to be met.

Personally, I think nine hours of training is woefully inadequate to qualify one as competent with a handgun. It makes me very nervous when I realize these noobs could be all around me. But, that is the law, so we live with it. Fortunately for us, most people in Louisiana are raised with some familiarity with handguns and are pre qualified before instruction. That is reflected some degree in that handgun permits issued by parish sheriffs are recognized in place of actual training. That policy obviously has some potential cracks in it, but that's another thread.

We agree then. i agree there should be no difference in the need for training whether open or concealed carry.

However, I think your reference to the constitution is a stretch when you factor in that the degree of familiarity with firearms at the time of the constitution was written was much higher than now.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I renewed in the first quarter of this year. For the OP the process is pretty much the same except you don't have to submit fingerprints again. Do submit in plenty of time before expiration. I submitted 60 days before expiration and got the new permit back two weeks before expiration. I was starting to sweat that it wouldn't arrive before expiration.

A change in the law now allows training taken anytime within the year prior to expiration to count toward the renewal. Get it done early to avoid the mad thrash to find a class in the last 60 to 90 days. With classes backed up it may take that long to find a slot.

My renewal class was a waste of money. The first hour was expounding on how qualified the instructors were. Second hour on this is a pistol and this is a revolver. Bullets (not cartridges) go in here, come out there and sight alignment. The icing was on dropping the slide. Apparently there some doctrine with Glocks that has you grasping the rear of the slide and letting go like a slingshot. OK fine, if you have a Glock. Problem was that they made it a point that this was the ONLY way to drop a slide. Called BS on that. Then those of us who were in for renewals were called out for live fire. 6 out of the class of 40. Did my six Bill Drills and put the stuff away. Next hour was processing paperwork, photos, and the required course certificate. Start to finish 3.5 hours.

Complete waste of money. I wanted to go over deadly force law, tactics, defense mindset, concealed carry law. Stuff that may have changed in the last 4 years. Not which end the bullet comes out which I'm pretty sure hasn't changed in the last 4 years.

I'm seriously considering taking the class again from another instructor just to make sure I'm up to speed without the photo and paperwork. Or finding some other training class that will these basics plus some more advanced work.

Instructors. Granted y'all have a full dance card but once every couple or three months you could put together a renewal only class. Cover law and tactics and leave out the basic handgun stuff. Go do the live fire and be gone in four hours. Have lunch and do a second class the same day. I'd sign up for that.

That is included in my classes, along with what to do before during and after a shooting, dealing with leo on traffic stops, and other topics. If the whole class was done in 3.5 hours, that was not a legitimate class, and the people who were there for a new permit received an unapproved class and were robbed of 5+ hours of instruction. I would not go to that instructor and would probably report him to LSP for not following the guidelines.

The state requires 9 hours of instruction for a new permit. Granted, depending on class size and experience, this can probably be done in 8-8.5, but anything less and you are probably getting an instructor who is more concerned about the money and not your training. A 4 hour class--for new permits-is criminal.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom