CCW Renewal Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    That is included in my classes, along with what to do before during and after a shooting, dealing with leo on traffic stops, and other topics. If the whole class was done in 3.5 hours, that was not a legitimate class, and the people who were there for a new permit received an unapproved class and were robbed of 5+ hours of instruction. I would not go to that instructor and would probably report him to LSP for not following the guidelines.

The state requires 9 hours of instruction for a new permit. Granted, depending on class size and experience, this can probably be done in 8-8.5, but anything less and you are probably getting an instructor who is more concerned about the money and not your training. A 4 hour class--for new permits-is criminal.
    Just to be very clear. The 3.5 hour class I attended was for a RENEWAL. All the new permit people were still in class when I left.

Did learn on little tidbit. That block on the application where it asks what were you trained on, -pistol, -revolver, -both. Check -both. Supposedly it has to do with the basic handgun training in the classroom and has nothing to do with the live fire skill assessment.

Still think a renewal only class can be done. With around 400 renewals done in Orleans and the surrounding parishes last year, a renewal only class can capture a fair number of them. With over 950 new permits issued in the same area last year a good number will want to renew 4 years down the road. The customer base is there.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    familiarity with firearms at the time of the constitution was written was much higher than now

I agree completely.

For the most part, the folks at my instructional were already gun people. But that pool will run low one day. In the crowd of applicants will be a lot of newbies. And that's where the mandated nine hours is clearly insufficient in my estimation. I hope I'm wrong. FYI, I believe the course in Texas is 18 hours over two days.

Top Bottom