Cell phone & pc spyware advances

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    This info is most probably Old-Hat to all the tech-savvy BS members, but there may be a few older dinasour member, like me, who came late to the game, who will find it interesting - and scary.

My youngest son, is my go-to guy on electronic, cell phone and computer issues. We were discussing cell security several days ago, as part of an on-going exchange, and he suggested I watch the Netflix movie "Snowden". I remember Edward Snowden's revelations about wholesale NSA data-harvesting in 2013 and his subsequent flight to Russia, where he still resides. I haven't heard much about him or the privacy "safeguard" security laws enacted since around 2014-15. He has been villified as a treasonous viper of the worst order by bureaucrats and politicians - including felony-tefloned Hillary C. - and many others of her ilk. "...He stole and released highly classified U.S. documents... and should be prosecuted to the maximum...". I watched it last night, then checked the internet reviews for how closely Oliver Stone chronicled the true story. The majority consensus was that it stuck very close to real life and only strayed in a few minor instances -embellishments for increased human interest - like - his U.S. Army training leg injury incident, an enhanced role mentor character, and his relationship with his girlfriend, etc.

I highly recommend viewing it. Like I said - SCARY!

With my "...they-are-watching..." (because they can) antenna tweaked, I watched some of Snowden's recent YouTube interviews and videos about the ease of spying on cell phones -"The Spy In Your Pocket". Learned of Israel-based software giant NSO Group and their menacing PEGASUS multi-million $ licensing fee spyware program. Watched several YouTube July 2021 videos (a few links below) reporting it's far-ranging capabilities and recent allegations of the misuse of PEGASUS. Developed and licensed for only "... government's use in combatting terror...". Distribution closely controlled and monitored by Israeli government ... yeah, right! If you got the cash, I'm sure there's a work around. Once you got it, who can say you can't ...? New tech way above my level, like "zero-click-device" - spyware/malware installed on your device without any action on your part, and no indication of it's presence. Even if you could find out it was installed, there's no known way to get rid of it. Advice offered? Trash the phone, get a new phone and new # - do not transfer ANYTHING!

What ... Me paranoid? View the movie and some videos, do some research.

[FONT=&quot]Edward Snowden [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://screenrant.com/edward-snowden-movie-true-story-nsa-cia-changes/

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] PEGASUS Washington Post [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RVI7bghj8[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]https://wapo.st/3kN343N.

[FONT=&quot] France 24 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjDNpBAhpPI[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Faye D’Souza [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yqAVOaw1V0

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZpLZgExfc&list=TLPQMDkwODIwMjE8BVuXXqeBRw&index=2[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Whatever tech Snowden was involved with
    is old tech by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Whatever tech Snowden was involved with
    is old tech by now.

Obviously! - to all of you "in the know". Yesterday and today are old tech at the eve and dawn of tomorrow. As soon as new tech solves one security issue, a legion of ill-intentioned hackers are instantly working on defeating it. Legislation and oaths of offices administered to the newly empowered - to uphold and defend the Constitution - are a sham.

The point of the post was to give info on the history of the availability, intent and clandestine use of this kind of sh_t ... and it's advanced forms. The post clearly states to be intended as info by most of us non-techies, in our un-informed unawareness.

You are familiar with Pegasus and it's applications? Please, further enlighten us.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Obviously! - to all of you "in the know". Yesterday and today are old tech at the eve and dawn of tomorrow. As soon as new tech solves one security issue, a legion of ill-intentioned hackers are instantly working on defeating it. Legislation and oaths of offices administered to the newly empowered - to uphold and defend the Constitution - are a sham.

The point of the post was to give info on the history of the availability, intent and clandestine use of this kind of sh_t ... and it's advanced forms. The post clearly states to be intended as info by most of us non-techies, in our un-informed unawareness.

You are familiar with Pegasus and it's applications? Please, further enlighten us.

Uh, I was just saying there is probably scarier stuff out there now. Wasn’t trying to “enlighten” anyone.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Funny how the advanced world's intelligence agencies can tell how long a person with a cell phone took a dump in a clandestine outhouse in Timbuktoo, but can't stop spammers from destroying email accounts.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Funny how the advanced world's intelligence agencies can tell how long a person with a cell phone took a dump in a clandestine outhouse in Timbuktoo, but can't stop spammers from destroying email accounts.

Ha- good point. Same goes for the endless amount of spoofing /spam phone calls we all get....:doh:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Tech and security haven't gotten rediculous. The so called "computer nerds" can completely run this country. A personal friend of mine is A long time tech guy, self taught hacker. Just to show how easy it actually is, at least for him, I sat at his house once while he was on his laptop, and watched him take about 20-30 minutes to completely access my cell phone and take it over. For work, companies (i.e. banks, and the like) hire him to break through their cyber security and find the weaknesses, he then sells/writes software for them that tightens up their stuff.

Last edited:

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Tech and security haven't gotten rediculous. The so called "computer nerds" can completely run this country. A personal friend of mine is A long time tech guy, self taught hacker. Just to show how easy it actually is, at least for him, I sat at his house once while he was on his laptop, and watched him take about 20-30 minutes to completely access my cell phone and take it over. For work, companies (i.e. banks, and the like) hire him to break through their cyber security and find the weaknesses, he then sells/writes software for them that tightens up their stuff.

It never ends. Each iteration solves known issues and immediately a new breach is sought. It's like a playground see-saw.

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    If you enjoyed the movie "Snowden" you should check out Edward Snowden's Book "Permanent Record". It goes into full detail and even reasoning he used to make the decision he made. It is amazing the amount of power OUR government had and the lengths and loopholes they went through to use said power. It will make you question why you even have anything web based.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    If you enjoyed the movie "Snowden" you should check out Edward Snowden's Book "Permanent Record". It goes into full detail and even reasoning he used to make the decision he made. It is amazing the amount of power OUR government had and the lengths and loopholes they went through to use said power. It will make you question why you even have anything web based.

I'll check it out -Thanks. Many of my friends already laugh about my advice on how to get a very minimum of privacy protection on cells and pc's. The shallow "... I'm not doing anything wrong so why worry ..." attitude is really frustrating. I'll get that book and read it and keep stirring the pot.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom