cement slab

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    I have a 1260 Square foot patio we want to cement. We found someone who would form and spread it for .85cents a square foot. We are going to get all the supplies. He works for a concrete company and will do it on his own time with his crew. We just don't know anything about concrete. And can't afford a commercial company doing it. Suggestions...Thanks.

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    $0.85/ft isn't horrible for forming and finishing. Most around here charge the same or more. For a patio that size, you're looking at 16yds give or take 15% or so due to grade and compaction.

I'd recommend fiber, I'd recommend control joints every 10-12' and I'd recommend either the concrete be poured on a 3-5" slump (not wet), or pay extra for water reducer to increase the slump.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I am guessing with that price they are supplying the form boards and also removing them afterwards? Pouring and finishing that size slab is under 4 hours for a 2-3 man crew, Laying form boards, another 3-4 hours for a 2 man crew and tearing up is 2 hours for 1-2 men. so in hours you have. So max 22 hours of labor. You are paying over $48 an hour for labor if they arent providing the form. Seems high to me unless the work is very good. Side work guys dont have the insurance costs and such and a screed is cheap, bull float rents for $25 a day.
    Basicly I am saying for that price, you should be getting pro level work (which it may be).

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    We are supplying everything. we already have the fill sand. And we have the cement at a great price through my girlfriends work. Its just the labor we are not sure of. I guess we are trying to save money by having a side crew come out and do it. He was the first to come out and look at it. We have all summer and we are just out of our elements here.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Well, I dont make $48 an hour, if I am paying someone that much, I expect professional results and guaranteed work. I have done concret before, it is no easy job at all, but $48 an hour cash is a high price to me for a side job.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Don't go cheap.
    I didn't and still wasn't happy with the results, even after seeing his other work. I have tiger stripes that show up when it rains still, even after doing a top coat over the hardened concrete.

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    The going rate right now for anyone worthy of doing work in concrete is $0.45 to form and dig and $0.45 to finish. The rates 10 years ago were $0.35/ft. We have guys we use that wont bring out their tools for less than $500 minimum no matter the size of the pour. Skilled labor isn't cheap in this business.

Last edited:

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    How are you getting the concrete to the form? Will you be able to get the mixer trucks backed in? Wheel barrows? Or a pump? If pumping expect to pay around $700 for the pump and operator.

Bullwinkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Based on my experience, the finisher should have been able to quote labor and material even if he is doing it on the side.
    Certainly if he is in the trade, he would know concrete suppliers (you stated he worked for a concrete company) and give you an accurate estimate.
    If your girlfriend's source is supplying the mix, let your finisher specify the mix. If her source is just supplying the cement, and your finisher has to mix, that is another dilemma.

The thing with concrete of this size....quite a bit you have, a PSI rating will be involved and this could be something you don't want to skimp on.
    You don't have to know anything about the concrete or the work, just trust the crew that is doing it.

Then, if a truck is delivering the mix, (1200+ sq ft, I hope so) can the truck get to the location, or does the finisher have to transport with a "Georgia buggy".
    Rental of that may be adding to his cost and something to consider.

And then you are in the situation when you don't know, can't take a chance, and want it nice the first time (concrete is weird like that).
    Not saying his price is a bargain or that it is gouging, but what else can you do......you want a nice slab right?

Good luck. Hope you find a solution.

Last edited:

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    your best bet is to get it by the truck. The slump will be more consistent than with bags.
    I work for a commercial concrete subcontractor. You should be fine with 3000 psi, 5" slump, 1.5" rock, fly-ash. Also you should add mesh or rebar, i recommend mesh since is cheaper and there is not much labor. Also in commercial construction we use polyethylene plastic which you probably dont need but wont hurt. Good Luck

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm going to piggy-back on this to see if I get any responses.

I'm looking to extend my patio concrete slab and have two quotes to clear ground, prep, form, pour and spread (including the concrete itself). I got two quotes: $5.40/sf for a contractor who backfills with crushed concrete and/or limestone before pouring and $4/sf for the people my builder used originally who "backfill with the chopped sod". Obviously, backfilling with gravel will work better, but is it necessary for a 4" patio slab? If so, I'll be somewhat disappointed to find out my builder likely poured the existing patio and driveway with no gravel backfill.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    The people before us installed a permanent cover over the patio. So two former flower beds were now two dirt beds because they were always in the shade. I ordered 3 yards of 3000 lb concrete with fiber and we finally had them filled in. We saw this patio paint for concrete on TV so I think we will paint the patio.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom