Central resident catches burglar in the act and holds for authorities

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Sheriffs Office was called . It took them about 10 minutes to get there . It appears that they were called after the guy was detained . That was my take on the story from the news broadcast .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am conflicted by all of this?!? WBRZ reports it as if the guy (Ma), did a noble thing. Would they have been so humbled by Ma's actions if the thief attempted to grab Ma's gun and was shot to death? And this homeowner did the exact same thing that the guy in New Orleans did (less the warning shot across the forehead (that found it's target)).

So one is a hero for holding a car burglar at bay with a gun, and one is a possible murderer for shooting a car burglar? My point is, if Ma ended up shooting the scumbag in Central, wouldn't he be in the same situation? After all, he pursued the guy beyond his yard?!?

:dunno:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A couple of things come to mind....

1. If the resident wouldn't have acted, there is little chance the thief would've been caught. We are free to argue over whether or not what he did was worth it- but that's the truth.:)

2. If things would have gone the way things did in NOLA....I can't speak for the media or the legal ramifications- but you wouldn't see any community outrage. That's a sure bet. ;)

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I am conflicted by all of this?!? WBRZ reports it as if the guy (Ma), did a noble thing. Would they have been so humbled by Ma's actions if the thief attempted to grab Ma's gun and was shot to death? And this homeowner did the exact same thing that the guy in New Orleans did with the exception of not calling the police and shooting him while he was unarmed and apparently not posing an immediate threat.

So one is a hero for holding a car burglar at bay with a gun, and one is a possible murderer for shooting an UNARMED car burglar? My point is, if Ma ended up shooting the scumbag in Central, wouldn't he be in the same situation? After all, he pursued the guy beyond his yard?!?

:dunno:

yes, i think once i fixed it, its pretty accurate.

State Law allows citizen arrest for felonies, which is what happened.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would like to see some input from legal scholars and prosecutorial interests on this too. But, no more discussion in the media. If there were still journalist in America, they would (on the heels of the NOLA shooting), ask the likes of Sid Gautreau & DA Moore the what ifs of this?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    yes, i think once i fixed it, its pretty accurate.

State Law allows citizen arrest for felonies, which is what happened.

That's great, but you are not addressing my concern. Ma, pursued the alleged thief (and the video shows no actual act of thievery), down the street with his gun and off his property. If the trespasser (that's all he was at the time), would have pulled a Trayvon on Ma; would there still be no big deal here?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    in my own opinion it is best summed up with:

If you aren't willing to shoot, don't draw.
    If you aren't in fear for life or great bodily harm, you don't shoot.
    and finally...

Just because the law states that you CAN shoot, doesn't always mean that you SHOULD.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    in my own opinion it is best summed up with:

If you aren't willing to shoot, don't draw.
    If you aren't in fear for life or great bodily harm, you don't shoot.
    and finally...

Just because the law states that you CAN shoot, doesn't always mean that you SHOULD.

i agree.

emperor read the definition of citizen arrest, requirements, then the definition of arrest. the answers are there.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    i agree.

emperor read the definition of citizen arrest, requirements, then the definition of arrest. the answers are there.

Whoa! Where in the Statute does it explain when might be a good time (legally acceptable), for Ma to shoot the perp? That's the gray area for me. I get, that we CAN arrest as citizens; and everyone seems to love a good "local" hero story until a dreaded and misunderstood gun goes bang and someone is dead.

He chased the guy down the street?!?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Whoa! Where in the Statute does it explain when might be a good time (legally acceptable), for Ma to shoot the perp? That's the gray area for me. I get, that we CAN arrest as citizens; and everyone seems to love a good "local" hero story until a dreaded and misunderstood gun goes bang and someone is dead.

He chased the guy down the street?!?

Like I said in another thread 12 hours ago, everyone loves a hero.

JR1572

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd wager the local boys who worked the call appreciate what he did, either way. :)

I'm glad everything turned out the way it did.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    If the theif would've put up a fight and started stomping the guy's ass, home owner shoots him, would the homeowner have been charged with any crimes?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benh
    Top Bottom