Changes to firearm purchase forms draw strong reaction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Changes to the forms required for firearms purchases asking questions about the buyer’s race and ethnicity have drawn strong reaction from gun dealers, privacy advocates and lawmakers.

Form 4473, required for an over-the-counter sale by a federally-licensed dealer, now asks first whether a buyer is Hispanic or Non-Hispanic, followed by a question delving into more detailed race-based information.

Critics want to know why the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives quietly made the change in 2012.

Sen Roy Blunt, R-Mo., sent a letter to ATF Director Todd Jones asking why the information was being collected and whether the data had ever been used to restrict someone's ability to purchase a firearm.

"What does that possibly have to do with whether you would pass the background check for a firearm or not?" Blunt asked.

In a response to Blunt, the ATF said Wednesday it has been collecting some type of race information on Form 4473 since 1968, but that it has never compiled or maintained it in any database.

Among its reasons for obtaining the ethnicity and race data, ATF said, was for "purposes of identification in conjunction with the required background checks." The agency also stated that the Office of Management and Budget "required ATF to make changes to the format of the questions during the standard Paperwork Reduction Act approval process" in 2012.

In the past, the OMB has explained the need for the race and ethnicity data as a way to help the federal government enforce civil rights laws by monitoring "equal access in housing, education, employment and other areas."

Privacy advocates, including the American Civil Liberties Union, are skeptical of the ATF's explanation suggesting that the OMB left it no choice. ACLU Legislative Affairs Director Laura Murphy told the Washington Times, "There is nothing [in ATF or OMB's website links addressing the change in policy] that supports the requirement that ATF collect race-based information. The OMB guidance merely describes what categories of race should look like if information is collected."

Calling the questions "highly intrusive" and "unnecessary," Rep. Diane Black, R-Tenn., has introduced a House bill that would ban the ATF from collecting the data.She also cited a concern many gun dealers have voiced, claiming that the multiple race and ethnicity questions are confusing to some buyers.

If the forms are filled out incorrectly, dealers can potentially face stiff penalties.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/25/changes-to-firearm-purchase-forms-draw-strong-reaction/?intcmp=latestnews

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Aren't the evolutionists teaching our kids that man originated in Africa? I now check African/Black whenever I encounter that question. I am in compliance.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    This is a ****ing sham. Government is encroaching in every possible direction and this is a no-brainer violation - but it'll just go on regardless.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    Aren't the evolutionists teaching our kids that man originated in Africa? I now check African/Black whenever I encounter that question. I am in compliance.
    That cracks me up! I know you just do that to irk them!:D But, as I'm sure you know,science teaches that race doesn't actually exist among humans: rather it's all just variation among the same species.

eggplant33

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Covington, LA
    That cracks me up! I know you just do that to irk them!:D But, as I'm sure you know,science teaches that race doesn't actually exist among humans: rather it's all just variation among the same species.

A species is a group of individuals who can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. Humans are, by definition, one species.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

How dare you sir ! Label us all as humans

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Don't you realize that every question on the questionaire is a knee jerk response to something else? I can remember when the yellow sheet asked for identification:'
    This person is known to me ____. (yes or no required) or This person has identified themself in the following manner___________. The latino or non-latino question is their "penance" for Fast and Furious. There, that question will fix that problem. Just like "have you ever been convicted of......" fixed the folks who would have normally been buying guns and now can not since they are incapable of lying on a government form.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    This is a ****ing sham. Government is encroaching in every possible direction and this is a no-brainer violation - but it'll just go on regardless.

9nuwquzmv9kq342hhni.png

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    If I encounter to much resistance, my fallback position is to check "other" and write in "Euro-American." At least I get to be hyphenated that way.

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    Wasn't there already questions about ethnicity on the previous forms?

Yes, but they added a new question about if you are Hispanic or not. A few years ago I bought a gun and was filling out the 4473 and saw that question and didn't remember answering it before and skipped it and the dealer was like hey you missed this one. I was wondering when it was added or if I just didn't remember it from the first guns I bought.

Top Bottom