Charcoal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I came across n4sir's post about burgers and moonshine and noticed he put in the brand of charcoal he used (stubb's, iirc). Do you have a favorite brand? Where do you get it? The local groceries around here only carry royal oak, etc.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Royal Oak is great. I like Kingsford too. All originals.

I NEVER use `Match Light` for cooking :zombie: I only use a few briquettes at the bottom of my Charcoal starter at the start.

After that it's either Kingsford Original or Royal Oak when it comes to briquettes for small BBQ.

When it comes to smoking meats, I use Lump Charcoal and Hard Wood chunks on top of Charcoal Sometimes in between.
    I usually cut the fire wood type chunks in 4"x4" blocks. One or two of those and you can spike your heat so be careful. I also use a chip smoker set.

HARD to find, but Royal Oak Lump is BY FAR the best lump I've ever used. Great burn rate and temp rate too. It's just so consistent. Other brands like Stubbs & Cowboy burn HOT! and fast. Hard to adjust to.

There are better Lumps out there but it's just hard to find locally. Well let’s just say impossible b/c no one’s carrying it down here.

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Royal Oak Lump (Wal-Mart, sometimes Winn Dixie) is good, also Tru-Cue Lump (Home Depot) is very good...an even distribution of small, medium and large pieces, consistant burning, mild flavor, no junk mixed in. I once found a chunk of plywood in a bag of Cowboy.

If you have nothing to do, and want to really over-analyze this decision, go here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Lump charcoal database, reviews, comparison tests, and a whole lot of information.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I always use lump. I started using it when I got into smoking meats and I haven't bought a bag of briquettes yet...even for high temp grilling.

I'm not as picky about the charcoal though as I am the wood chunks I use. As long as the charcoal lights easily without assitance, burns long and burns evenly, I'm OK. I usually buy Ozark Oak or Royal Oak lump hardwood charcoal but I'm not beyond picking up a bag of store brand if they have the variety and the price is right.

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Lump (Wal-Mart, sometimes Winn Dixie) is good, also Tru-Cue Lump (Home Depot) is very good...an even distribution of small, medium and large pieces, consistant burning, mild flavor, no junk mixed in. I once found a chunk of plywood in a bag of Cowboy.

If you have nothing to do, and want to really over-analyze this decision, go here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Lump charcoal database, reviews, comparison tests, and a whole lot of information.

I used the naked whiz's plans to build the table for my BGE a few months ago!

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    Royal Oak lump IF it is made in the USA.

They do outsource materials from a few other countries which produces a lesser quality product. I've been buying mine from Walmart and check the bag to be sure it's genuine US of A. Ribs are on sale most everywhere now so, it's time to fire up the grill.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I use Royal Oak or Kingsford, as well....

I picked up on something from one of my Texas uncles who uses only charcoal, but HATES charcoal lighter (fluid)- and is impatient as hell.....His solution? IMPROVISE!!!!!

He uses one of those Harbor Frieght propane torches to light his charcoal- takes about 3 minutes to have it glowing and ready to go. Push button lighter, around $30. Every man should have one of these...... It's the only way to go if you're in a hurry. :thumbsup:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Harbor_Freight_propane_torch_small.gif

Last edited:

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    He uses one of those Harbor Frieght propane torches to light his charcoal- takes about 3 minutes to have it glowing and ready to go. Push button lighter, around $30. Every man should have one of these...... It's the only way to go if you're in a hurry. :thumbsup:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Harbor_Freight_propane_torch_small.gif

I use a MAPP torch to start lump in my Big Steel Keg...works like a charm, but throws sparks like a shorted transformer...make sure you wear eye protection!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I use a MAPP torch to start lump in my Big Steel Keg...works like a charm, but throws sparks like a shorted transformer...make sure you wear eye protection!

Yep, good idea- that can never hurt! I have this big-ass heavy gauge "Darth Vader" pit on wheels that's fairly deep, so it's pretty safe.....

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

So you're the other Keg owner in Louisiana. Lol..... I have a Bubba keg(two actually. One in storage at the office)as well as a couple other types of grills.
    I don't use lighter fluid either. I use a Mapp torch that also takes propane. Last night I used a charcoal starter. Wanna get yor coals(briquettes or lump)started fast)use a charcoal starter. Since I was cooking the burgers hot and fast I used briquettes. I have a stockpile of Royal Oak, Stubbs, Kingsford and Jack Daniels. I have charcoal(both briquettes and lump) and pellets(for my other grill)like some of you have ammo. Lol..... In my Keg and my Primo Jr. I use lump. Royal oak, Frontier(mesquite that Sam's sells), Ozark Oak, occaisionally Cowboy or Tru-Cue. I also hae a good assortment of wood chunks for smoking.
    For those in the New Orleans area, Restaurant Depot sells RO lump in an 18 lb. bag for $7.99.

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    I've used Ozark Oak in my egg before. I find it has an "off" flavor in the smoke. I like the royal oak lump.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Im a big fan of cowboy lump or the house brand at whole foods. I'll use original kingsford in a pinch if I only have time to hit Win Dixie.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I despise charcoal, maybe I'm just doing it wrong. When it's time to cook, I want to COOK. Not wait 30 minutes for the little bricks to finally be hot enough, if ever. Maybe I'll try the propane torch method next time. I'd much rather a decent gas grill but no place for one at the moment and the weber coal grill was free.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I despise charcoal, maybe I'm just doing it wrong. When it's time to cook, I want to COOK. Not wait 30 minutes for the little bricks to finally be hot enough, if ever. Maybe I'll try the propane torch method next time. I'd much rather a decent gas grill but no place for one at the moment and the weber coal grill was free.

Not to be a snot, but it's remotely possible that you could be... When Jody purchased his green egg and joined their website, reading different BBQ gurus, his grilling skills took off. It's not difficult, just subtle alterations. I can tell you he couldn't cook a decent steak for twelve years (grey and leather hide) and now he routinely caters our company lunches by demand. That's his admission, not mine.

We had a gas grill though. Nothing wrong with it. I prefer it when dealing with certain things. The charcoal does interfer with the brine flavor of really fresh seafood. And it is quick. :)

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

I have used nothing but coal grills my whole life until about a year ago when I picked up my first gas grill. I like both, they each have their pros and cons, but I really like the quickness of the gas, not to mention less cleanup.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    So you're the other Keg owner in Louisiana. Lol..... I have a Bubba keg(two actually. One in storage at the office)as well as a couple other types of grills.
    I don't use lighter fluid either. I use a Mapp torch that also takes propane. Last night I used a charcoal starter. Wanna get yor coals(briquettes or lump)started fast)use a charcoal starter. Since I was cooking the burgers hot and fast I used briquettes. I have a stockpile of Royal Oak, Stubbs, Kingsford and Jack Daniels. I have charcoal(both briquettes and lump) and pellets(for my other grill)like some of you have ammo. Lol..... In my Keg and my Primo Jr. I use lump. Royal oak, Frontier(mesquite that Sam's sells), Ozark Oak, occaisionally Cowboy or Tru-Cue. I also hae a good assortment of wood chunks for smoking.
    For those in the New Orleans area, Restaurant Depot sells RO lump in an 18 lb. bag for $7.99.

I'd love to see some pics of your pits, wait thats sounds odd, ya know what I mean. So how does one have so many different kinds of bbq pits?

Top Bottom