Charcoal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Im a big fan of cowboy lump or the house brand at whole foods. I'll use original kingsford in a pinch if I only have time to hit Win Dixie.

Have you ever used any other Lump? Like Royal Oak Lump, B&B Lump etc?

maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

There is flavor and taste that you can get out of PROPER Charcoal & Lump that you simply cannot get with a Gas grill. Especially when you get into (Smoking Meats) with various different methods of smoking with Hardwood chunks or Smoking Chips etc.

Now don't get me wrong I like to fire up my father-n-laws Gasser and get the burgers and hotdogs rolling and done sometimes too.

But when I'm in the mood to BBQ, that’s done on the PIT!

It truly is a form of art and tradition. It takes time and it takes skill and this has just as much to do with preparing the meat to begin with. But being able to adjust the heat(Low & Slow), keep it going, and be able to cook all that you have without burning it or having to stick it in the oven to finish takes some experience.

When it comes to smoking Large meats like Picnics, Butts, Brisket, Ribs, Loins etc, etc, there is just no comparison (IMO).

I've cooked all these meats in Roasters and Elec. Smokers. Nothing wrong with that, it turned out great. However when I smoke a Pork Butt for 9 hours for the kids Birthdays or other events on the Pit, well that's when I hear the most compliments. Cooked on a gasser or Electric I hear, "That was great". Cooked on the Pit smoked all night I hear, "That was fantastic, how'd you get that flavor in there?" :chuckles:

That's when I tell them my favorite line;

"Well I did something a little different and special this time..."
    - Yea, what'd ya do...
    "Well every time’s different, b/c I always forget how I cooked it the last time" :dogkeke:...

Not to be a snot, but it's remotely possible that you could be... When Jody purchased his green egg and joined their website, reading different BBQ gurus, his grilling skills took off.

Green Eggs are indeed spectacular and so is the Webber Smokers. I've been drooling over a Webber for years. I've used them and there just made so well and are so efficient with heat. Green Eggs do this well too.

It'll be a WSM for me though if I ever buy one.

Has Spec ever tried out BBQBrethern.com? I've learned a TON from that site. Not to mention now I don't cook with Mass Brand Named seasonings from Wal-Mart or the Grocery store. Lots of folks sell their seasoning on there and it cost close to the same. Except this stuff is home made. Some of them are purely amazing and most are tailored to be specifically for Beef, Pork, Lamb, fish etc. Those folks on there have been at it for decades.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    For all you stockpilers:

Walmart has Kingsford 2x 15lb bags (30lb total) for $5.48.

If not in stock at Wally,
    Home Depot has Kingsford 2x 13.9 lb bags (27.8lb) for $5.88.

Two days ago I ran out and had to buy a single 5lb bag for $6.70 at Winn Dick Me. I stocked up a year's worth at those prices above.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    when im using briquettes i usually use kingsford. i find it keeps a pretty consistent temp. the winn dixie brand, imo, burns hot and fast. but i do have to say. i bought some lump charcoal for the first time on accident a few days ago at sam's club and i really like it. good flavor and starts faster and also has a consistent temp in the weber performer i have.

only thing i hate doing on charcoal is burgers (but they taste the best). way too many flair ups from the fat dripping down and very very very smokey

laduckkiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Zachary, LA
    Spec is that you?! Exact thing here too. Ozark Oak in a BGE Is the only thing we use.

Nope, been called a lot of things, but never been called Spec (sorry, in the process of moving so I've been away from the forum).

Hard for people who have never used lump charcoal to understand how different it is from briquettes.

Hello my name is Mike and I used to be a gas griller. Never even thought I would own anything, but a gas grill. I have now seen the light. Now with my egg, a charcoal starter bricks burns for about 6 minutes, close the lid, and can grill in around 25 minutes depending on what temperature I'm looking for. New lump charcoal and a little prep of the lump expedites things. Not sure if it's unique to the egg, but re-using lump charcoal is hard to believe until you see it. Writing the check for an egg is the worst part (but compared to having several nice stainless grills with their short lifespans???). My egg is one of the best things I've ever bought. But to each his own, because we might as well put grilling up there with politics and religion on things that people are passionate about when discussing.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    only thing i hate doing on charcoal is burgers (but they taste the best). way too many flair ups from the fat dripping down and very very very smokey

You need a water spray bottle to kill the flames.
    OR
    Flame Broil them dudes real quick, then set them aside and use indirect heat to cook them through.

You can also use cedar planks. Soak them in water for at least an hour and place your burgers on those.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    You need a water spray bottle to kill the flames.
    OR
    Flame Broil them dudes real quick, then set them aside and use indirect heat to cook them through.

You can also use cedar planks. Soak them in water for at least an hour and place your burgers on those.

ya i had one and then my pup got to it and destroyed the hose that sucks up the water so i have been using indirect heat to finish them. never heard of using cedar planks i might have to try that one out. does the meat end up tasting like cedar though? i couldnt imagine that being any good...

If that's your only issue maybe you should invest in the product below. Grill Grates. Made to prevent flare ups.

http://grillgrate.com/

thanks man. been reading reviews on that and it looks pretty nifty. i might have to give that a try. its only with burgers i have that problem though. probably because i use 80/20 meat. maybe i should try something leaner. they sure do come out nice and juicy though!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ya i had one and then my pup got to it and destroyed the hose that sucks up the water so i have been using indirect heat to finish them. never heard of using cedar planks i might have to try that one out. does the meat end up tasting like cedar though? i couldnt imagine that being any good...

No.

jgreg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    Where do u get the paper starter pot for ur charcoal and how many briquettes do u use for 6 hamburgers and approx 1lb sausage?
    I usually have charcoal burning for hours after
    Please suggestions. Hard to figure out becomes expensive
    To BBQ with the amount of charcoal I use
    Thanks in advance

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Where do u get the paper starter pot for ur charcoal and how many briquettes do u use for 6 hamburgers and approx 1lb sausage?
    I usually have charcoal burning for hours after
    Please suggestions. Hard to figure out becomes expensive
    To BBQ with the amount of charcoal I use
    Thanks in advance

You can buy a Charcoal Starter at Wal-Mart or any Sporting Good Store.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barbecue-Charcoal-Chimney-Starter/10879201

For hamburgers and some sausage I'd fill the Charcoal starter half way. Maybe 12-15 Briquettes. The key to knowing when the starter has the coals going good is when it stops smoking. When it's full it takes around 20 minutes to stop smoking. This is usually when all the coals are going good. Wait until the Coals are ALL lit before dumping it in your Pit.

To reduce the amount of wasted Charcoal. Just start keeping track every time you cook. Start off with a dozen. Then go from there. It's the only way you'll learn/remember and save money.

BTW Wal-Mart has a GREAT sale on Double Packed 8.8lbs bags of Kingsford on Sale for $5.48 !!! I bought 2 bundles without even blinking at that price.

Using the Charcoal starter will save you money though with not having to buy lighter fluid.

Lump Charcoal is another money saver. You can use it to cook with, then smother it out. Then next time you're ready you can just get it lit again. You can do this to lump until it's ashes.

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You can buy a Charcoal Starter at Wal-Mart or any Sporting Good Store.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barbecue-Charcoal-Chimney-Starter/10879201

For hamburgers and some sausage I'd fill the Charcoal starter half way. Maybe 12-15 Briquettes. The key to knowing when the starter has the coals going good is when it stops smoking. When it's full it takes around 20 minutes to stop smoking. This is usually when all the coals are going good. Wait until the Coals are ALL lit before dumping it in your Pit.

To reduce the amount of wasted Charcoal. Just start keeping track every time you cook. Start off with a dozen. Then go from there. It's the only way you'll learn/remember and save money.

BTW Wal-Mart has a GREAT sale on Double Packed 8.8lbs bags of Kingsford on Sale for $5.48 !!! I bought 2 bundles without even blinking at that price.

Using the Charcoal starter will save you money though with not having to buy lighter fluid.

Lump Charcoal is another money saver. You can use it to cook with, then smother it out. Then next time you're ready you can just get it lit again. You can do this to lump until it's ashes.

Everything you mention is good advice but not all grills allow you to smother the charcoal from burning completely. It helps to have a grill that allows you to do just that. Now I don't own one of these but, it is a pretty decent grill somewhat similar to a ceramic grill(Big Green Egg, Primo). http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-4976...uct_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Char-Griller

This little grill is insulated and allows you to shut down the burning of glowing hot charcoal and you can reuse it at a later time. This process works with briquettes but lump is a better source for grilling and smoking.Check out the link above and keep in mind this is a cheaper version of an insulated type kamado type grill that is fuel efficient and once you learn the temp control you'll love it and wonder why you haven't gotten one before.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    For a charcoal starter I use a pineapple juice can. Punch (shoot) some (not a whole mag of AR!) holes in it for air. Fill the bottom with tinder or pine needles and put some charcoal on top. Light and let sit. Dump into the bbq pit. If its too hot use the vice grips.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    For a charcoal starter I use a pineapple juice can. Punch (shoot) some (not a whole mag of AR!) holes in it for air. Fill the bottom with tinder or pine needles and put some charcoal on top. Light and let sit. Dump into the bbq pit. If its too hot use the vice grips.

Or you could save the time/ammo and just spend the whopping $7 and it comes with a nice little stand on the bottom and wood handle

:mamoru:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^ True but not as much fun and not as much of a conversation piece. Especially if you occasionally camp in campgrounds full of tree huggers and anti-gun types. :)

Top Bottom