Charge dropped for woman who took gun to preschool graduation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    “My understanding” is a teacher wouldn’t get charged with a criminal charge for having a gun in their car but would be fired for violating school policy. Teachers and students have to follow school policy or get fired/expelled.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There's a couple of incorrect statements in this article:

"From the start, Louisiana law appeared to be on Cage’s side. The statute allows registered guns in a vehicle, which is treated as an extension of a person’s home. WWL-TV asked a longtime defense attorney, and he agreed: “Is she in any kind of violation whatsoever? And the answer to that is no,” Craig Mordock said."

"Registered guns"? Not in Louisiana.
    "Extension of a person's home"? As often as people like to say those words, nowhere in the Louisiana revised statutes do those words appear.

And this quote is laughable:
    WWL-TV spoke Thursday with Sheriff Mike Tregre, and he defended his deputies, despite the charge against Cage being refused.
    “The DA makes that decision. We did what we had to do to protect everyone,” Tregre said.

The deputies protected everyone from a pistol locked inside of a vehicle? Good job!

Journalism in this country has been dead for a long time! What these "so-called" news organizations get away with as far as not providing factual information or even any pertinent information is sickening. In-depth fact checking has been replaced with sensationalism and shock headlines to illicit mouse clicks.

And like perpetual inaccurate weather forecasts, no apologies and no consequences!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    “My understanding” is a teacher wouldn’t get charged with a criminal charge for having a gun in their car but would be fired for violating school policy. Teachers and students have to follow school policy or get fired/expelled.
    I think it would be difficult for a firing over this to stand if a public school teacher pushed the issue.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think it would be difficult for a firing over this to stand if a public school teacher pushed the issue.
    Unfortunately I can’t say anything about the 2 cases I know of in Louisiana but you’d be surprised then. Anyway if you accept a job keep in mind criminal law and company policy are 2 different things.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Just a FYI, My wife who works for the Livingston Parish School board as a bus driver has been told "Do NOT have a gun in your car on school grounds" being they park their car there during the day while driving the buses. I think this is BS myself, but she complies with this nonsense.
    Louisiana law allows individuals to store firearms in their vehicles.

Edit: looks like this was already covered.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Louisiana law allows individuals to store firearms in their vehicles.

Edit: looks like this was already covered.
    They do, but some companies make it more annoying for their employees while tip toe'ing the law.
    Exxon for example. They force their employees with firearms in their cars to park in a seperate lot, which is a farther walk than the other lots. They cant park in the closer lots or park on campus.
    Entergy follows the law and is mute about it. Employees can park anywhere and have firearms only in their cars.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They do, but some companies make it more annoying for their employees while tip toe'ing the law.
    Exxon for example. They force their employees with firearms in their cars to park in a seperate lot, which is a farther walk than the other lots. They cant park in the closer lots or park on campus.
    Entergy follows the law and is mute about it. Employees can park anywhere and have firearms only in their cars.

Does Exxon randomly search vehicles?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Does Exxon randomly search vehicles?
    I asked my buddy that works in a plant and he said he’s never been searched but they can and it’s grounds for being fired, in his words it’s not worth the risk (like said above they are provided off site parking for those that choose to keep a gun in their vehicle).

WatcherInLa

WatcherinLa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge, La.
    There's this, too.
    The Sheriff needs to go.
    Already traumatized by her time in jail, Cage said the sheriff's office continues to cut into her livelihood by refusing to return her car, which contains all of her music equipment.
    Roy Cage, her cousin, said he contacted the sheriff's office several times to get the car released from a tow yard, but has been unsuccessful.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    My understanding is the employer can legally forbid guns in your car if they provide a private secure parking lot. I recall a Louisiana law about it, but I'm too tired and lazy to look it up. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Years ago, when I worked for Dow Chemical in Hahnville, we weren't allowed to keep guns in our car and were subject to random inspections on the way out. There was a metal tube with a dial by the security guard office at the exit. Security would turn the dial and a random marble would drop out the bottom, a white ball meant you were free to go, a black ball meant pull over for a random inspection. I was never without a gun and no one ever said a word during my many inspections. They either didn't see it under the seat, or didn't care. Either way, I was happy I didn't have to drive from Metairie to Hahnville multiple times a day unarmed.

Side note: One day the black marbles were changed to red. According to security, someone complained that the "bad marbles" were black, so they were never seen again.

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    My understanding is the employer can legally forbid guns in your car if they provide a private secure parking lot. I recall a Louisiana law about it, but I'm too tired and lazy to look it up. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Years ago, when I worked for Dow Chemical in Hahnville, we weren't allowed to keep guns in our car and were subject to random inspections on the way out. There was a metal tube with a dial by the security guard office at the exit. Security would turn the dial and a random marble would drop out the bottom, a white ball meant you were free to go, a black ball meant pull over for a random inspection. I was never without a gun and no one ever said a word during my many inspections. They either didn't see it under the seat, or didn't care. Either way, I was happy I didn't have to drive from Metairie to Hahnville multiple times a day unarmed.

Side note: One day the black marbles were changed to red. According to security, someone complained that the "bad marbles" were black, so they were never seen again.
    Correct. If the lot is access controlled or if it has security.

Broken Arrow

Silver Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2023
    I've driven onto school grounds many many times with a gun in my truck. This is legal as far as I know, but I guess that Sheriff interpreted the law differently. Sounds like someone had a ax to grind: The Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded to a tip about people taking guns to the graduation ceremony.
    It's a gray area,under Louisiana law you can not have a gun on campus,but it leaves the school district to its own authority..This particular district is prominently Black ,do you think they would charge one of there votes? Those subjects are wail known thugs.I think the law states you can not be with in 500 feet of a school with a gun ,which totaly bull,because you have school next to a highway,that means everyone passing down the road who has a gun in there vehicle is breaking the law.This total bull sh.t....

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This. It's as clear as day. Shouldn't even be a question.

According to the law, there is a question. The law states the law does not apply to "any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle" The question is was what she was doing constitutionally protected? There's much more to the story than "cops saw a gun in her car and arrested her."

There's this, too.
    The Sheriff needs to go.
    Already traumatized by her time in jail, Cage said the sheriff's office continues to cut into her livelihood by refusing to return her car, which contains all of her music equipment.
    Roy Cage, her cousin, said he contacted the sheriff's office several times to get the car released from a tow yard, but has been unsuccessful.

Have they tried showing proof of insurance? According to the article, the girl's cousin said "the car was properly insured." I doubt the sheriff is targeting them. Many jurisdictions require proof of insurance before releasing a car. If the sheriff requires proof of insurance and the car is insured, there's an easy way and a hard way. Show proof of insurance and get the car bak. Or try several times to get the car back without showing proof of insurance and then talk to a reporter and make a big stink about the sheriff going around the law somehow and hope the sheriff changes the procedure for you.

alecgreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Louisiana Law specifically states that anyone who can Legally Possess a firearm is exempt from the firearm in school place laws "When that person is carrying a firearm in his / her Constitutionally Protected Vehicle." Anyone can enter school grounds with a firearm in a vehicle. There are also areas outside of school grounds which prevent people from carrying firearms. Again, except when that person is in a vehicle.
    Now no one may exit a vehicle on school property with a firearm except those granted permission by law or the principal of the school.

alecgreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    It's a gray area,under Louisiana law you can not have a gun on campus,but it leaves the school district to its own authority..This particular district is prominently Black ,do you think they would charge one of there votes? Those subjects are wail known thugs.I think the law states you can not be with in 500 feet of a school with a gun ,which totaly bull,because you have school next to a highway,that means everyone passing down the road who has a gun in there vehicle is breaking the law.This total bull sh.t....
    Not a grey area. The law specifically states anyone may carry a firearm in a school zone or on school property while in Constitutionally Protected Vehicle. Now the weapon may not leave the vehicle unless said person is granted permission by law or by the principal of the school according to law. As there are schools with programs such as ROTC and some high schools have sports shooting teams. But the law is very clear about having firearms in vehicles on school grounds and that's why this lady was not prosecuted.

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    It’s 1000’ as the “gun free” zone. But that applies only to open carry if I remember right. But you can’t conceal at all on school grounds.

The 1000’ zone doesn’t apply to in a vehicle or on private property

It’s predominantly not prominently. It’s charge THEIR voteRs…and not only did they charge one, they charged three.

Normally I wouldn’t correct such mistakes, but you deserve it based on the fact that you made such an ignorant statement.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Louisiana Law specifically states that anyone who can Legally Possess a firearm is exempt from the firearm in school place laws "When that person is carrying a firearm in his / her Constitutionally Protected Vehicle." Anyone can enter school grounds with a firearm in a vehicle. There are also areas outside of school grounds which prevent people from carrying firearms. Again, except when that person is in a vehicle.
    Now no one may exit a vehicle on school property with a firearm except those granted permission by law or the principal of the school.

I'm not sure where you got your quote but the law says something a little different. "Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle."

Top Bottom