Cheap hunting rifle solution

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I stopped in at the local pawn shop while looking for bargains today. They had three synthetic Remington 710's in .30-06 with weaver mounts for $179 each. Not what I was looking for, but that seems like a bargain to me...
    Its on Airline in Laplace behind Radio Shack (next to the sherriff's office) if anyone's interested.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I've seen some folks talk bad about the 710's - no specifics just you won't be happy blah, blah blah. I'm thinking it can't be that bad.

At that price you could buy it, try it, throw it away and not be out that much if you don't like it. Definitely about the cheapest way to sling some .30-06 lead.

Acadamy wants $318 with scope for the 710 & $299 for the Mossberg ATR with Scope.

I'm curious how it would perform or would a person on a budget be better off spending some more, shopping used.

I'm getting a little too curious as in go ahead & try it. There is a pawn shop near me that had some new a while back.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    the optics on those are not the best, but good enough for me to throw some lead downrange and pretty accurate at 100 yds(that is the furthest i have shot)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    No optics at the pawn shop. I've been looking for a cheap used 700 short action for a future build. I decided to hold off, but I was tempted to pick one up and sell for $250 or so later.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    That's funny. No need for a warranty card on that one.
    I was curious just because Academy listed the scope on the Rem710 as Bushnell (I think) & no brand on the Mossberg.
    I have a 3-9 x 40 that is a Bushnell. The one that came on the rifle was defective & had to be returned. Got it back & it seems to work just fine I have it on a .22lr for testing. It frustrates me to waste centerfire ammo on a scope that isn't working correctly. I'm going to swap it with a Leupold that is a hand me down & try that one next. If it doesn't work on a .22lr then no need to go any further.
    Cabela's has some of their store brand scopes that seem like a good deal.
    Thanks,
    RDO

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Here is a thread on THR regarding the 710:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=866

Still if you wanted a cheaper rifle to only shoot deer, not rebarrel, try bigger rifles etc. $179 ain't bad. There are some reports of safety related issues which would be the biggest deterrent for me. Some of the complaints seem to internet exaggerations "The first one I touched the bolt handle came off in my hands."

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I will check the scope on my 710 when I get home as well. As for the 710, the only problem I had with mine (which I hear is pretty common among this model) is the bolt does not like to close without some motivation. A little oil and that problem was solved though.

For a comparison, I would rather the 710 over the ATR 100. The scope is a little easier to see out of, it is lighter, and I prefer the box magazine of the 710 over the little compartment(whatever it is called) of the ATR 100.

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    I have a 100 ATR 30-06 bought last year. I believe it's a Simmons scope w/Mossberg logo, and it seemed to work fine. I have since changed to a BSA Sweet 3006 scope just to see if a caliber specific ranging turret would help me. I missed a deer at 150 yds in Dec due to an unsupported firing stance (that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :squint:). Later in the afternoon, I took a rabbit through the lungs at 75yds from a supported stance, with the bullet going exactly where I intended. I know, overkill for a 30-06, but it was a clean shot, and I only shot out rib meat. The Mossberg will shoot true, and I feel is a great value for the price.

YMMV :)

Top Bottom