Cheap safe fire ratings

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I’m sure some here have done enough research on how well the cheaper gun safes actually hold up to fire. When I say cheaper, I’m talking tractor supply safes.

I’m honestly buying a safe more to deter thieves, or not make it so easy for them. Do they actually help against fire enough to really make much difference? This is specifically for the lower end safes ($600-700 and under).

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think if your house burns down it’s gonna take one helluva safe for the guns to not be damaged.

Location of the safe will probably help with fire protection more than the fire rating of the safe.

I saw fire pics recently of someone's super mega giant safe that was supposed to protect the guns. First time seeing an aluminum AR handguard completely melted.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Also where you live matters also. If you live in a rural area, and far from fire protection, the house may burn down to the slab and no safe is probably good enough. If you leave in a suburban or urban area close to a fire station, they may be able to get to your house before it gets too hot. Of course, those places are probably higher targets for theft though.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm SURE somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that a Glock frame will start to melt at around 500 deg. F . Just saying ...

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Your house is ten times more likely to get broken into than burn down. Place the safe on an exterior wall to get the least amount of burn/heat if a fire were to occur. Buy a supplemental firearms insurance policy and call it good.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Kind of related. Recently my neighbor built a house and gave away the trailer they had been living in. I was helping him haul stuff out of the trailer to burn off. And man let me say this, cheap laminate wood furniture and micro fiber sofas and similar ignite so fast and burn so tall and powerful you’d think they’ve been dipped in napalm. We threw a micro fiber sofa on the fire and within 30 seconds we were moving trucks and grabbing a hose. If a sofa like that catches fire in a house I don’t care how close the fire department is your place is toast.

Top Bottom