Chevy avalanche question to one's who may know

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    So I rode passenger in a 2007 avalanche with almost 200,000 miles on it. Stock suspension still on it. Long story short I was blown away by the ride quality of a truck so old with so many miles. I've rode in new vehicles that didn't have the ride quality of that thing. Obviously they do not make the avalanche anymore but my question is chevy making a truck with a package that has the same suspension/ride quality of the avalanche?
    I looked around on the net and could not find an answer. Sounds silly but I was really impressed with that trucks comfort.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had an avalanche, literally drives like a caddy, loved the car. For your information, it drives on the suburban chassis/drive train. So if you want something that drives like the Avalanche, the suburban is your answer. The Tahoe has a shorter wheel base and won't be as smooth. My Avalanche was smoother than my escalade (short version)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Asking BayouShooter members if new vehicles ride as well as a 2007 Avalanche is a bit far fetched.
    If you really want a new vehicle, you should be test driving them at the dealership.

Your perception of a smooth ride is going to be different than mine, or his, or hers...

I've driven a 2006 Avalanche over 500 miles and it was as smooth as my Silverado. Newer vehicles will always ride smoother.

Last edited:

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My son had a 2005 with over 250,000 miles on it and it drove like a dream and still does. He sold it to his PawPaw who is still driving it to this day. His PawPaw has had many Chevy trucks and he says the Avalanche is the best he ever drove.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Does the Tahoe aside from having a shorter wheel base have the same suspension as the suburban?

I'm not sure. It's strange Bc I've had a 2002 Tahoe, 2004 Tahoe, 2007 Avalanche, and 2010 escalade. Avalanche was the smoothest. I think it's mostly due to being the longer wheel base since the wheels are further apart, when you go over a bump it doesn't "jump" as much due a longer time interval between the car going over the same bump. Go test drive everything gm has to offer. The escalade's have magnetic ride control which is a feature that makes them more expensive than the others. My friend drives a 2013 Chevy Silverado 4 door and it had a pretty nice ride

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Don't forget about spring rates. If it was all about wheelbase, regular cabs and cars wouldn't be capable of riding nice. The Avalanche probably got softer springs because its wasn't offered with 8' beds or heavier gross vehicle weight packages. Two trucks can look nearly identical and have different gross vehicle weight ratings, making the spring rate and ride quality different. Its a trade off between weight capability/handleing and ride quality.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    As a mechanic I would be in a financial bind if a majority of my income came from replacing Avalanche shocks. Water pumps, vent valves and transmissions are a different story. I find the Avalanche holds up remarkably well, even better if 2006 and older. I'm not happy with active fuel management but one can always use a programmer to disable it.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Tahoe's tend to not have as nice of a ride because of their frame length and suspension combination. If that's what you want to get, then make sure to test drive. Suburbans tend to have a nicer ride.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Wife has a 2015 Tahoe LTZ.
    Probably the best riding vehicle I have been in, granted I spend a lot of time in a 2500 Chevy Duramax.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I drive an 02 avalanche, had it since new and have no plans to get rid of it, up to 20 mpg on highway and a nice ride.
    Look at the suburban or sierra type trucks.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Pops has a 04 1500 avalanche Z66 2wd. It was my grandfathers before he passed. Very nice to drive. I drove it back from houston to Nola. Also from nola to destin. Its a nice driver, just have to get used to the blind spots.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Dad's on his 2nd Avalanche and is stressing about what to do when this one wears out. He's test driven all the trucks and none ride as nice as the Avalanche thanks to its rear coil springs vs leaf springs. If ride quality is the primary factor, get a suburban. However, if you need a bed, the newest trucks ride amazingly well and aren't that far off.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Dad's on his 2nd Avalanche and is stressing about what to do when this one wears out. He's test driven all the trucks and none ride as nice as the Avalanche thanks to its rear coil springs vs leaf springs. If ride quality is the primary factor, get a suburban. However, if you need a bed, the newest trucks ride amazingly well and aren't that far off.

The new Chevy Silverados drive amazingly in my opinion. I've driven from New Orleans to Watercolor and New Orleans to Dallas and I feel like I'm floating on air when I drive that thing. Tows great too. Tell him to check them out again if he hasn't already.

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    Don't forget about spring rates. If it was all about wheelbase, regular cabs and cars wouldn't be capable of riding nice. The Avalanche probably got softer springs because its wasn't offered with 8' beds or heavier gross vehicle weight packages. Two trucks can look nearly identical and have different gross vehicle weight ratings, making the spring rate and ride quality different. Its a trade off between weight capability/handleing and ride quality.

Finally!...the right answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom