Chief Harrison outlines some expectations on being stopped by NOPD

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawarren0351

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Lafayette
    Don't understand your comment.

When we find a gun, we (LEO) can run the serial number through NCIC to see if it has been reported stolen. Any department big enough to have a computer in their cars should be able to do that or at least their dispatchers should be able to run it. Sorry for not elaborating the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When we find a gun, we (LEO) can run the serial number through NCIC to see if it has been reported stolen. Any department big enough to have a computer in their cars should be able to do that or at least their dispatchers should be able to run it. Sorry for not elaborating the first time.

Ok thanks to explaining your comment. I know about running one in NCIC I've been listening to that for about as long as they had it. A lot of people think when they run it it will show the owner not knowing it will only show if it's reported stolen and entered in NCIC. And the reporting agency if it is.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    What is the registration he notes?

My son was asked on simple traffic stop could he produce a bill of sale for his weapon (and if not the officer might need to confiscate the gun), he noted the bos was at his home and would be happy to have the officer follow him and get it retrieved by his Dad. Called me and officer spoke with me and said he should always carry the bos. I asked if that was a legal requirement and he gave phone back to my son, no ticket just drove away.

Years ago I sold a Colt Commander to a co-worker. He was stopped by JPSO for a traffic violation and the gun was confiscated. I had to get a notarized bill of sale saying I sold him the gun for him to get the gun back.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Years ago I sold a Colt Commander to a co-worker. He was stopped by JPSO for a traffic violation and the gun was confiscated. I had to get a notarized bill of sale saying I sold him the gun for him to get the gun back.
    That's stupid. Does the check cops do show who bought it?

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    If the gun wasn't reported stolen, what right did they have to confiscate it.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Ive been told NOPD also has a habit of emptying your gun and magazine and keeping the rounds. For their safety.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    They have emptied my gun 3 times and always gave every round back.They were on the floorboard while my gun was in my back seat until they drove off.Just like the cop said to do.I also have been pulled over and the cop was amazed because it was the first time he had ever seen a permit.He asked where my gun was and never even wanted to see it.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    What is the registration he notes?

My son was asked on simple traffic stop could he produce a bill of sale for his weapon (and if not the officer might need to confiscate the gun), he noted the bos was at his home and would be happy to have the officer follow him and get it retrieved by his Dad. Called me and officer spoke with me and said he should always carry the bos. I asked if that was a legal requirement and he gave phone back to my son, no ticket just drove away.

Maybe the chief misspoke about making sure it is registered to you. Maybe he was thinking so we can register it to you. Relational databases are cheap and easy these days.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Under the consent decree, do the Feds allow the NOPD to violate citizen's rights under the Fourth and Second Amendments to the Constitution?

Perhaps the feds, under a new administration, would listen.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    MANY years ago , the BRCP taught the concealed carry course and the Instructor told us that you should always be able to produce a bill of sale for your weapon or it could be confiscated . He said it was rarely done but it was an option if the LEO wanted to be a dick . I ain't bullshitting you . It was Bobby Font . Many of you know him .

Have been told, if NOPD takes your gun, to get a receipt for it.
    Don't know how a LEO will write a receipt though.

Top Bottom