CHP conversation with two LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was talking to two guys I know last night about CHP's one Trooper one SO.
    I was filling the Trooper in on some of our rules for drinking while CC and about that time the Deputy told us that if you have a CHP and you have a loaded gun anywhere the car you have to notify.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I did not correct him. :D

But I will tell my Trooper buddy tonight. But I think he already knows the difference between in the car and on your person.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    ReLLY? IS THAT WHAT IT SAYS? wHAT IS YOUR POINT?

I think it's fairly obvious that his point is that you have to notify if you are carrying concealed on your person. The law does not state you have to notify if you have a firearm but it is not on your person.

you_mad.jpg

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    At least I attempted to give the OP a real answer. I wasn't about to speculate beyond what I knew.

RS 40:1379.3 said:
    I.(2) A permittee armed with a handgun in accordance with this Section shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or with an identified official purpose that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him. Whenever a law enforcement officer is made aware that an individual is carrying a concealed handgun and the law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the individual is under the influence of either alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance, the law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the handgun and request submission of the individual to a department certified chemical test for determination of the chemical status of the individual. Whenever a law enforcement officer is made aware that an individual is behaving in a criminally negligent manner as defined under the provisions of this Section, or is negligent in the carrying of a concealed handgun as provided for in R.S. 40:1382, the law enforcement officer may seize the handgun, until adjudication by a judge, if the individual is issued a summons or arrested under the provisions of R.S. 40:1382. Failure by the permittee to comply with the provisions of this Paragraph shall result in a six-month automatic suspension of the permit.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/search.asp?ALL=ALL&SearchString=firearms is my new friend! ;-)

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    At least I attempted to give the OP a real answer. I wasn't about to speculate beyond what I knew.

Well, at least you are learning from your mistakes. However, take note...the OP never asked a question, and if you read more than you typed, you would see that everyone involved in this post thus far is pretty knowledgeable about the topic at hand.

perhaps his sarcasm was missed.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I was talking to two guys I know last night about CHP's one Trooper one SO.
    I was filling the Trooper in on some of our rules for drinking while CC and about that time the Deputy told us that if you have a CHP and you have a loaded gun anywhere the car you have to notify.
    Every time I've been stopped the officer asked right away so the notification was pretty simple. When they ask how many guns I have in the car I always begin the answer with "I think". So far, their answer has always been "thank you, just leave it/them where it is/they are".

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can only imagine the reaction when you approach an officer and say:

"I'd like you to know something. I don't have a gun on me."

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have thought it would be interesting getting pulled over coming from or going to the range when you have 5 or 6 guns in the car.

I got into a wreck once and had over 10- a mix of handguns and long guns. The trooper actually laughed out loud (as my family members helped me unload my truck) and said something to the effect of "Damn, buddy! You're better armed than I am!".....:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom