Church carry question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    OK, we all know the rules about carrying in church but this is a question that I would like some LEO insight on. A friend of mine, who is the pastor of a church, asked me a question and I would like to be able to give him a correct legal answer with sources cited. He does not have his CCW yet but is working on it. Until then, can he carry in church, seeing as he is the pastor, and it is private property?

Thanks again guys. Wanted to make sure he covered all his bases.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I'm sure a few people wouldnt mind, but the majority of the older folks would not like seeing the pastor with a pistol on his side.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You can't be the owner? That's dumb.

That's the law.

The law also does not support you carrying concealed without a permit in your own home.

Now, would a pastor get jacked up for this? I doubt it, but heaven forbid, pun intended, that he used his weapon to defend the flock, while he would most likely be herald a hero, he could have some legal issues.

It is one of those legal issues where you technically cannot, but the penalties are highly unlikely and not too harsh.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You guys need to check out the upcoming October issue of US Concealed Carry Magazine. It will feature a story I photographed of Pastor Bryan Strickland, a Bayoushooter member and Amite pastor who carries in church. The congregation supports him.

3672214565_de12f675f7.jpg

TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    no one will mind if they do not know he is packing.

couldn't have said it better. I CC at my church and very few people know about it. If something was to ever happen I will gladly face the penalty for keeping the congregation safe. after all the good book says we're suppose to keep the orphans and widows safe :D

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Pastor Strickland has been practicing with us (action pistol shooter)off and on for several months. He and his son Brian try to shoot as often as time permits, which in his case is not all that often. They do enjoy it and he does carry at church. We wish him and his church the best.

Seabeevet, why not have your pastor/friend contact Pastor Strickland and they can discuss this issue. I'm sure he has some insight.

Beauxdog :)

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The statute says the parish permits "shall not be unreasonably denied." We need case law defining that. That is a more sure-fire method of getting campus carry than Wooten introducing his bill every year simply to have it shot down on the floor.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The owner?

You can't be the owner? That's dumb.

A pastor doesn't "own" a church. He is an employee of the church. The "church" is nothing more than a group of people. If you're referring to the building, I suppose the group of people, or the members of the church own it collectively. If you ever hear of a church that's actually owned by the pastor, it's probably not really sanctioned by God...

Top Bottom