City looks to make gun ownership mandatory

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I think the idea is dumb for the same reasons SVT list above.

I also think it's funny that they are introducing it at the next city counsel meeting on April 1. :dogkeke:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    NO. The gov't should not force someone to own a gun if they choose not to. It is their freedom of choice.

...And you can't legislate stupidity. :)

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Seems like a propaganda headline for alittle attention and to make criminal think about getting shot. Seems pointless with the outs they give you they couldn't enforce it even if it did pass as law.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And up until a couple of years ago the Federal Government couldn't mandate you own health insurance either....

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% that this gun law is a bad and that no government should tell any citizen he or she must own anything, it just seems that the direction of our government in recent days seems to believe otherwise.

Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Seems like a propaganda headline for alittle attention and to make criminal think about getting shot. Seems pointless with the outs they give you they couldn't enforce it even if it did pass as law.

This is what I was thinking. Although, they may have already screwed up by saying there is no LE in that town as it sits between two towns that do... Either way, I think I may just stop reading any kind of media all together.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This isn't the first town in Georgia to do this. Barry on the iraqveteran8888 youtube channel talks about a Georgia town that did it some time ago I believe. And I will bring this up again. Didn't some town in Louisiana, I think Denham Springs, mandate that everyone own an AR? This was years ago and of course it's not enforceable, just a show of 2A support. Does anyone else remember that?

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    This isn't the first town in Georgia to do this. Barry on the iraqveteran8888 youtube channel talks about a Georgia town that did it some time ago I believe. And I will bring this up again. Didn't some town in Louisiana, I think Denham Springs, mandate that everyone own an AR? This was years ago and of course it's not enforceable, just a show of 2A support. Does anyone else remember that?

I have heard about the mandatory rifles in Livingston but couldn't find anything to back it up. Just a rumor that's still hanging on I guess. Everyone who I've heard mention this heard it from someone who heard it from someone and so on.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And up until a couple of years ago the Federal Government couldn't mandate you own health insurance either....

I was just about to say the same thing! I'm curious to know that if it were to go through, what the Supreme Court ruling would be. It seems to that the city/town could just say, "well the feds are requiring me to have health insurance..."

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The 1982 law was a symbolic rebuke to the village of Morton Grove, Illinois, the first community to ban the sale and possession of handguns. Kennesaw’s ordinance had little effect on a rural community where most people already owned firearms, Graydon said. It was also unenforceable on its face. Anyone who says they are morally opposed to guns is exempt. So is anyone who can’t afford to buy one.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    "A well regulated militia being necassary" it's a matter of interpretation I guess. Mandate might not be a good word for it but it was written to say "arm you're self".
    The distance between the thought that a militia is necessary and everyone having to own a gun is rather large for a single leap.

Lurker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Denham Springs LA
    Well according to this study then they will have a higher firearm mortality rate...here the bs....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/us/guns-laws-mortality/index.html?c=homepage-t

Cliffnotes of article.

We did a study and have data that is incomplete and intend on using it to push an agenda. Moreover, since this data is virtually worthless, we need more grant money (your tax dollars) to fund a deeper study to try to fabricate more invalid data to continue to push an agenda as our results were at best, inconclusive and at worst, a bald faced lie.

Top Bottom