Cleaning / Defunking / Deodorizing nylon gear

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Ok so I've finally been wearing a belt long enough that it's stinking. Like yesterday I was leaning against a wall bullshitting in a coworkers office, was grabbing my belt for a place to rest my hands, went to scratch my nose and it hit me. I mean, some of the gear I have has a funk but I don't wear it "socially" or place where it's not expected to experience some funk.

Then I realized I wear this Ares Gear belt every fukcing day. If I'm doing yard work, sitting around the house, at the office (yea, I know, it's tacky and I've recently put my Comp Tac back into the rotation after trimming it... still need a new leather belt though) and I wear it when I'm working on machines at a buddy's shop. It's exposed to all manner of BO, oils, greases, metal chips, slag, sparks from grinding, bits of vegetation from yard work, slow dispersion farts, and whatever else decides to infiltrate.

With sports gear, I would just fill up a bath tub, dump in some impromptu chemical bath of cleaners, and let it soak. However discoloration occurs at times. I'd like to keep the black-and-tan ranger belt as it is, for the most part, color-wise, or at least not make it all weirdly splotchy or something.

What should I use to defunk my nylon ranger belt?

I looked through the first few pages of posts in this section and didn't see anything relevant, and I got too lazy to go further. Sorry if it's been discussed.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    That's the exact same soap I've been using before going out hunting since I was a kid. I would not have thought of that.

Before I left the house today, I put on my leather, and sprayed the belt with some Dr Scholls foot powder and odor-eater type stuff. Figured... worth a shot.

I'll see about washing it with that stuff, too.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Any mild dish washing detergent should be fine on most nylon gear. I use it on ZULU watchbands to remove the funkiness after a having worn a particular watch regularly.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    For my nylon watch I usually just hit it with dawn dishsoap when it starts getting funky. Just lather it on well with some cold water and let it soak in a bucket/ bin let it soak for a couple hours then hang it up to dry. I'm sure you were talking about doing something to this extent I would at least do this before throwing it into the dishwasher wouldn't want to get all the crud that you we telling us is probably on there in your dishwasher.

As far as the dawn goes I've never noticed any discoloration in the band which is a cheap black band from Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom