CMP garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cs69camaro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Hey, I was wondering if yall could help me out. I was wondering if the live fire part of the requirments was satisfied with the hunters ed. class live fire. I've been bitten by the bug and plan on goin to get one here pretty soon. Not sure if this is the right section didn't know what to put it under sorry if its wrong, thanks.

cs69camaro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks, I already joined the LSA, and am waiting for the card to come in, is it true that the stores do not stock the service grade rifles or is that a tall tale. haha

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Thanks, I already joined the LSA, and am waiting for the card to come in, is it true that the stores do not stock the service grade rifles or is that a tall tale. haha

You need to call every week before Wednesday. CMP themselves can tell you. There were no service grades when I was there a few weeks ago, but there were special service grades available. They are beautiful.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You need to call every week before Wednesday. CMP themselves can tell you. There were no service grades when I was there a few weeks ago, but there were special service grades available. They are beautiful.

The best deal CMP has in my opinion. I bought one and I need another M1 like I need a hole in my head.

PM me with your real name (or put it in this thread) and I will check on your LSA card. Thank you for joining.

Dan

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    FWIW, I used my hunters education as the live fire part of the CMP requirements. I printed out a copy of the course description and highlighted the live fire part and included it with a copy of my hunters ed card.

J

jayd

There were no service grades when I was there a few weeks ago

I have a CMP "service grade" Garand that will going up for sale as soon as I can get pics of it together
    ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Blue CMP rifle case. It is another deal. At least at Camp Perry, they were $24.95 and they are top quality. They are a stripped down version of Creedmoor's $69 gun case. I bought 2 and wish I had bought at least 1 more.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Dan: Is the trip to Alabama necessary or is calling and purchasing the special service grade the best bang for buck?

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have never heard of the Special Service Grades being sold anywhere except at the North and South stores. Do not confuse the Special Service Grade with the Special Grade. They are very different in value in my estimation.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Dan: Is the trip to Alabama necessary or is calling and purchasing the special service grade the best bang for buck?

I was bent on going to the store in person, but tomorrow is the perfect time to call. I've not see them listed on either CMP mail order list, though. Dan may know more.

I'd go to the store all over again tomorrow. Here's why:

_MG_0044.jpg

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    $795 and I have shot mine already. The metal on mine is literally new with original finish. The only thing that keeps it from being collectible is the fact that it has newly manufactured wood and stock metal. Unless you have some original wood, it is a shooter. Besides, if you take care of it, you can put lots of rounds through it without wearing it out.

Dan

Tulse, that is a fine looking rifle. I cannot wait to see it in person. Garand match last Saturday in October - be there.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I got mine a few months ago. it is a SA Service Grade. It is not as pretty but it all original. LSP972, dantheman and I went out shooting our M1s at Sherburne one weekend.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The only one of my M1s that I have never fired is a collector grade HRA that is absolutely factory fresh. It was certainly never issued. But then again, I have a few shooters laying around. :D

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I got mine a few months ago. it is a SA Service Grade. It is not as pretty but it all original. LSP972, dantheman and I went out shooting our M1s at Sherburne one weekend.

Are you sure it is all original? It isn't likely that CMP let a collector grade out of the door as a service grade. (most of these guns have been through an arsenal a time or two) I did pick up a service grade HRA that was only lacking a bolt and trigger group from being all correct. Once upon a time you could buy these things from CMP so I called them and asked some nice lady for the proper HRA parts as replacements. It is now all correct (not original) and one of my best shooters.

Dan

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Tulse, that is a fine looking rifle. I cannot wait to see it in person. Garand match last Saturday in October - be there.

I'll bring both. I'd like you to look them over.

To anyone considering going to CMP: If you can, arrive early on a Wednesday morning. First, it's the day all the new stock is put out. Second, there were at least 3 local gurus there who knew their ****. The line at CMP forms about one hour before it opens. I chatted with all these guys, told them what I was there for, and was offered all the help I could ask for. I took them up on it. The special service grade was a no brainier. Not one measure over 1.0 at the muzzle. The problem was, I was also talked into getting field grade by the local crew. I went through them all with a muzzle gauge (the most I could do) and found a few good ones.... or at least what I thought were good examples. One had a crack in the stock behind the receiver, so it was quickly rejected when I showed it to one of the locals. A few others got the boot, too.

I did end up finding a HRA that pasted the locals inspection, and now I really don't know which I like more.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom