COCHON DE LAIT! Pig roast help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I will be cooking a whole pig this weekend and I was wondering if ya'll wanted to give me some advice since this will be my first time doing it. I got a larger grill/smoker that I will be cooking the pig (~75#) on. The grill has a wood box off to the side so that the pig won't be completly in the heat. I was just wondering if ya'll had a good receipt for a rub and also for a marinate. I'm getting a friend of mine, that used this grill before and did about a dozen pigs on it, to assit me some what. I'm expecting it to take around 10-12 hours til I get an interal temp of 170*. Just let me know if you did this before and have some advice for me. To go with the pig I will be cooking a jambalaya. I'll take some pics and post them up on here after I do my pig roast.

Thanks.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I like to use MOJO by GOYA. I dump a few bottles in a cooler wher the pig is resting and also inject it. Let it sit 24hrs with Ice bags and its GTG! Good luck! I'll be doing one in a couple weeks!

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I like to use MOJO by GOYA. I dump a few bottles in a cooler wher the pig is resting and also inject it. Let it sit 24hrs with Ice bags and its GTG! Good luck! I'll be doing one in a couple weeks!

Where can I buy this MOJO? I never heard of it.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    I really like mine injected with Tiger Sauce. You'll have strain it to get the big chunks out. When you think you can't inject anymore, put in another two bottles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Where can I buy this MOJO? I never heard of it.

WallyWorld, Rouses, WinnDixie and all latin markets.

7p5xp5z2exopk4ayapk.jpg

dtabsyc7quxptfe15s.jpg

Last edited:

jaysephus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2014
    NLA
    1. Cut the head off with a hacksaw, and using a piece of scrap lumbar on the back of a hatchet, tap the back of the hatchet down the spine to split the pig.
    2. Break a couple heads of garlic into individual cloves, and cut an onion into quarters. Using a sharp knife with a long blade (think steak knife), punch 'tunnels' from the skin-side every 6-8 inches and push the garlic and onion pieces into the holes.
    3. Rub both sides liberally with olive oil, then use whatever seasoning you decide to use. I use Tony's, and am not bashful; pork likes salt and pepper ; )
    4. Place the meat with the hindquarters toward the fire (the larger end will take longer to cook; you may need to shield it with an aluminum pan or some tin foil to prevent burning).
    5. Get yourself a piece of scrap plywood, 2 foot x 4 foot; cover it with cardboard (from a scrap box), taping the bottom with duct tape. Then, cover this with aluminum foil. Now, you have a moveable tray for the meat when it comes off the fire.
    6. Just before you remove the meat from the fire, get a COLD beer, shake it up, and spray the hot skin to make cracklins!
    7. Let it rest for about 15 minutes, then dig in. We use a vinegar-based sauce in squeeze bottles for convenience.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    Well my pig roast was a success! I ended up injecting the pig with 4 bottles of Cajun injector. I used the butter and garlic flavors. I had my pecan wood soaking in apple juice, brown sugar and syrup for about a week to help add some flavor. Total cook time was 9 hours, when the back roast hit 170* it was completely done. We then made up out own lil brine which had white and brown sugar, wine, apple cider and I think that's all. We put the brine on once the pig was done and the burnt fat was removed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418847549.959328.jpg here is our pig it was around 100# gutted with the head on.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418847600.700481.jpg put the pig on the grill at 6:30 in the morning and didn't open til 6 hours later to check on the progress.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418847992.070722.jpg better pic of the grill I used.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418848021.660082.jpg at noon this was the internal temp of the back roast.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418848051.487727.jpg 6 hours into the cook and this was the first time we opened the grill.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418848085.892094.jpg the pig is complete. All the burnt was fat, we were told to leave it on so that the meat don't come out burnt.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418848159.662868.jpg totally done once the fat was scrapped off. You can see all the juices on the pig. All in all it was a success. My jambalaya came out great and so did the pig. Got to see a lot of family and friends and drink some beers and just enjoy life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom