Colt in Financial Bind.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Colt Defense Receives Default Grade After Ultimatum to Creditors

May 19, 2015

Colt Defense LLC’s debt rating has been cut to the lowest level possible after the hand-gun maker skipped an interest payment and extended its deadline for creditors to approve either a debt exchange or a prepackaged bankruptcy.

Standard & Poor’s reduced Colt’s rating two grades to D from CC, according to a statement Tuesday from the credit grader. The new rating means S&P considers the company “in default or in breach of an imputed promise” and that it has ruled out the possibility the manufacturer will make good on a missed interest payment during a 30-day grace period.

The weapons maker didn’t pay the $10.9 million due May 15 to holders of its $249.4 million of 8.75 percent unsecured notes due November 2017, according to S&P. Colt had warned in November it was “probable” it wouldn’t have the cash to make the payment if it didn’t meet internal sales forecasts.

Colt has asked creditors three times to choose between the debt-for-debt exchange that S&P called “deeply distressed” or bankruptcy since April 14. Six months after getting a rescue loan of $70 million from a unit of Morgan Stanley, fewer than 6 percent of bondholders have agreed to exchange their current holdings into new debt, according to a company statement on Monday. The West Hartford, Connecticut-based company is relying on the exchange to help “improve its performance” and maintain its status as a so-called going concern, according to an April 14 company statement.
    Note Exchange

Under the debt exchange, bondholders would swap the notes for new ones paying 10 percent and giving them what the company says is a stronger claim on its assets. The new secured notes, which would mature in 2023, would only go through if 98 percent of holders agreed to take what amounts to a 65 percent cut to the old notes’ face value.

In a bankruptcy scenario, not much would be left for holders of the 8.75 percent junior notes, according to S&P. Since the $102 million of collateral available to Colt’s secured lenders is just shy of the $103 million they’re owed, S&P estimates holders of senior unsecured debt would recover between zero and 10 percent of their investment.

The junior notes traded in odd-sized lots at 27.75 cents on the dollar at 4:37 p.m. in New York, according to Trace, the bond-price reporting system of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.

The maker of M4 carbines and M16 rifles for the U.S. and other armed forces struggled to make the previous $10.9 million payment owed to those noteholders in November. It avoided default by paying what was due from cash taken from the Morgan Stanley loan.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sounds like somebody is getting ready to be royally f**ked!

The weapons maker didn’t pay the $10.9 million due May 15 to holders of its $249.4 million of 8.75 percent unsecured notes

Ouch!

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    It will be interesting to read the medias spin, when Colt does go belly up. Question is should we buy up Colts ARs and 1911 now or not ?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    If people didn't see this coming they would have to be blind. Everybody and their grandmas are pumping out AR's now and there is a lot of competition for your dollars. If u can't compete in this world u die.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I know I'm going to get hate for this but...... I've been wondering when this was going to happen. Colt refused to revise their product to a new generation. A company can't thrive on their name alone when it means nothing to a good percentage of your potential buyers. My dad loves Colts but I don't care one way or the other. Glocks work and hold more rounds than a 1911. I do have a 1911 but it's not a Colt.. When it comes to ar's why would I consider a colt when I can get a BCM or Daniel Defense around the same price. The Colt name doesn't mean quality to me and it never has like I said it wasn't ever marketed for the younger generation.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm a big fan of the colt brand. But they're run by idiots.

On another note last time I heard colt had two separate companies. Colt defense and colt manufacturing. One made military and government weapons and the other made civilian. Colt defense I think made military and government contracts.
    sent from Nokia 920

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    They need to leave the North East and relocate to the deep South and discontinue any of their firearms that do not sell well.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    They need to get DC to bail them out like they bailed out the auto industry. I think Colt is too big to fail just like the auto manufacturers.
    Maybe even start a cash for clunkers program where you can trade in an old, non-functioning rifle and get a minimum of $500 form the government towards the purchase of a new rifle.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Colt Manufacturing didn't file Chapter 11, just Colt Defense. I was wondering if it means this problem only affects the division making products for the DOD .

The article seems to be pretty clear about only Colt Defense filing Ch. 11

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Good products combined with **** poor business management = customer suffers. Step 2: Some other manufacturer fills the aforementioned void. I wonder where all the fanboys will flock? Ruger?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom