Colt LE6920 or BCM?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Asking for a quick opinion here. I have the typical entry level AR (S&W). The plan has been to get some more time on it, then move up and purchase as second AR that is considered better quality. I have been researching for a while and had pretty much decided it would be a BCM.

With the current political climate I have been strongly considering going ahead with the second gun. I have a line on a LE6920 at a good price with nice furniture. Not what I was planning on, but from what research I have done Colt is well... Colt. Is there any strong reason to pass on this and wait for a BCM, or go ahead and get while the gettin's good and plan on picking up a BCM in the future?

I generally don't like opinion thread questions like this, but would appreciate some feedback from any of you with direct experience.
    Thanks

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Take a look at the Daniel Defense V11LW I handled one the other day and my mind is made up.

Also I have two of the colts and would buy another for the right price.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd go with the 6920. My understanding is that BCM doesn't actually make most (if any) of their own parts, instead sourcing from other companies. With the BCM you'll get the benefit of good marketing to make you feel good about what you purchased. With the Colt, you'll own a true mil-spec rifle at a much better price.

Not to mention, it's about the Indian, not the Arrow. Take the extra money you save and put it toward ammo and some training.

Last edited:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    BCM = approx same quality of Colt. Colt most likely will hold a better resale. Unless there a specific build not availble in a colt ( 14.5 pinned etc ) I would go with the Colt.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    If you don't really want to jump into a new gun just yet but feel that the current political climate may justify it, you could always purchase a lower right now and piece together a totally custom gun as funds allow. There are some really good deals online and the only part that requires a background check is the lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Out of the two you mentioned, I'd go Colt 6920 and put the extra funds into anything else you may need/want (Optic, trigger, ammo, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree with your suggestion JC. The mail man will be delivering some very heavy packages of 9mm and .556 in the next week or so. I also have two days of carbine training coming up this Spring.

My original plan was to go to the courses for more experience and exposure then purchase as second AR. As I said, some of the political stuff going on makes me think it might be a wise choice to move this up a bit.

Thanks for the input gents...

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I recently bought two LE6920's. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of both of them. Kept one stock and using one for a semi custom build. I've had A DD in the past. M4V1. It was a solid, well built rifle as well, But for what the Colts are selling for right now, I think it's the best bang for the buck.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I went with a 9.5" .300 AAC BCM upper because I wanted a chrome lined barrel and they had one in stock. It cost more than other non-chrome lined uppers, but I was able to get what I wanted versus building my own.

I also have a 10.3" colt upper in 5.56. I guess what I am saying is you can't go wrong with either.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I understand why Colt had a great reputation 20 years ago, but I do not understand why they still do today. Just my opinion, but these days Colt is closer to DPMS quality than to Daniel Defense Quality.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    While I agree there has been not much innovation out of Colt.
    The quality of the ar15's has been exactly the same for the last 16 years.
    Precise as spelled out by the M4 TDP.
    Nothing new , nothing changed, just exactly as specified.

Daniel Defense offers a fine product, With more modern features, At a higher price. DD does not offer any improvement on reliability. I personally have not seen Daniel Defense rifles increase in value or hold there value the way a Colt does.

There has been very few reports across the internet involving any problems with Colt Ar rifles. ( yes I know of 2 major ones out of millions of rifles) DPMS has a phone book worth of complaints.

Knights Armament, Larue, Daniel Defense, Wilson Combat

Colt , BCM , Spikes all make a fine product which will last a lifetime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom