Colt M1911A1 US Army

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Looking for knowledge on this Colt M1911A1 that I recently acquired. Appears to be a US Army issue 1944 from the serial number.

Looking for any general information on the gun, recommendations on restoration (grips, etc), value, etc.

Any advice and information are appreciated.

20210930_215333.jpg20210930_215339.jpg20210930_215349.jpg20210930_215356.jpg20210930_215406.jpg

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Nice old Colt. What is the story behind your having it? Check out coolgunsite.com for lots of information about the 1911's

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Nice old war horse.

If these things could only talk, . . .

You might try to find some correct grips for it.

Other than that, leave it alone.

Shoot it. Fondle it. Admire it.

Don't try to re-blue, refinish, or otherwise destroy the story it has to tell.

yote72571

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Rosie Ar
    Nice old war horse.

If these things could only talk, . . .

You might try to find some correct grips for it.

Other than that, leave it alone.

Shoot it. Fondle it. Admire it.

Don't try to re-blue, refinish, or otherwise destroy the story it has to tell.

Amen well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Last edited:

SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    I will definitely check these grips out. That is one of the things I was planning to do, but would like to replace them with the correct groups that would match the original.

I already broke it down and cleaned it up. So it is looking much happier.

Any idea regarding the value? It appears that it has all the original equipment, including the magazine. Although, I am still trying to verify the barrel. I would love to have it as a shooter, but I'm curious if it would be something that may have more value as a collector's item.

SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Nice old Colt. What is the story behind your having it? Check out coolgunsite.com for lots of information about the 1911's

I inherited it from a family member's collection. So, unfortunately I have limited history about the gun.

I had already come across that site. It definitely has some really great resources.

Unfortunately, I can't find any confirmation of the markings on the barrel. It has an P on one side of the lug and it appears ES on the other side of the lug. No other markings on the barrel that I can see.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Made in 1944. Value will depend on a few things, how correct. Minimum of 1500 as it is and maybe approaching 2000 is parts are correct

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with the comments that restoring and/or refinishing the gun in any way will destroy a lot of its value. And I agree that a fresh set of grips would look good on it, but that you should also keep the old grips.

I think $2K would be a realistic estimate for it. Shoot it, by all means, but if you're just looking for a shooter grade 1911, then you may consider one of the more modern rigs for the wear and tear that a range/carry gun will endure.

Mike

SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree with the comments that restoring and/or refinishing the gun in any way will destroy a lot of its value. And I agree that a fresh set of grips would look good on it, but that you should also keep the old grips.

I think $2K would be a realistic estimate for it. Shoot it, by all means, but if you're just looking for a shooter grade 1911, then you may consider one of the more modern rigs for the wear and tear that a range/carry gun will endure.

Mike

I've been eyeing up a modern 1911 for quite a while. I almost bought one of these stainless Springfield. https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-mil-spec-handguns

I have an old Detonics Combat Master 45, and always wanted a full size 1911. So, I was excited to have the opportunity at this old Colt.

SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    This might help:

https://sightm1911.com/lib/history/barrel_markings.htm

Also, stamp marks on the frame are often indicators of military inspections and refurbs. the stamp will give you an idea of when and where.

Thanks for the link. Still no luck.

I've narrowed down all the markings on the frame, slide, and magazine. They all match up as original parts for a 1944 manufacture date (per the serial number). I was trying to verify the barrel is original, but still can't match it. The "ES" on the lug is what is throwing me off. I can't find any reference to that marking anywhere.

20211002_113014.jpg20211002_112832.jpg

These are the only barrel markings I have noticed.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've narrowed down all the markings on the frame, slide, and magazine. They all match up as original parts for a 1944 manufacture date (per the serial number). I was trying to verify the barrel is original, but still can't match it. The "ES" on the lug is what is throwing me off. I can't find any reference to that marking anywhere.

I'd be surprised if the barrel is original to the weapon. We cannibalized small arms parts all the time when I was on active duty. Most actual GI issue stuff you find will probably be mixed and matched. Not like the old German stuff where every piece is serialized, so you actually know it's all original.

Last edited:

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Give it a thorough cleaning and a proper lube job. Replace the old damaged grips with some proper period correct without getting rid of the old ones. Do not attempt to refurbish / restore / refinishing this beautiful piece of history. Maybe take it to the range some fun but for every day carry get something more modern. .................................. drill sgt.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    it is a shame you were unable to get the right side up model. the up side down model is so much less valuable... nice pistol... some reproduction or NOS grip panels would finish it out nicely shoot is to say you did and then preserver it in a shadow box and make up a good grandpa story....

Phil S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Baton Rouge, La
    Looking for knowledge on this Colt M1911A1 that I recently acquired. Appears to be a US Army issue 1944 from the serial number.

Looking for any general information on the gun, recommendations on restoration (grips, etc), value, etc.

Any advice and information are appreciated.

View attachment 108631View attachment 108632View attachment 108633View attachment 108634View attachment 108635
    I belong to a website called Gun Value Board
    You post pictures to the site and a bunch of old-timers will value it for you … I recently ran a very similar Colt through them

Top Bottom