Colt SP1; or Assemble an M16A1 Replica?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tidewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hammond
    I trained and qualified in 1984 with the M16A1 while at Ft. Dix. Since then I've pretty much got busy with careers and kids, but never really forgot about that small arms experience. So now that i'm approaching retirement, I want to again spend time with the rifle of my youth... or a reasonable facsimile like the SP1.

I'm not a stickler for detail mechanically, and I'm not looking for a fully auto weapon. What I do want is an AR-15 that aesthetically resembles that A1 I used to date in basic training :rofl:

My questions at large for those who have traveled this path are this:

1) Should I just shut up and seek to buy the Colt SP1? They ain't cheap, but I have guns to sell that'll add up.
    - or -
    2) Should I consider assembling a replica using a good quality base-model and a A1 kit? I'm a mechanically inclined OCD engineer who can take direction, watch YouTube, and read tech pubs.
    - and -
    3) Would the cost of base purchase and kit exceed the cost of the SP1? Which brings me full circle back to #1 above.

506-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tidewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hammond
    Build your own. The sense of accomplishment from the build will only add to the joy of owning and shooting it. And you can change the trigger or anything else you want out to suit your wants/comfort/budget.

True. I get the same satisfaction from building guitars.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you want a clone correct rifle, you will have to build it.

If you just want an A1 style rifle, they are few and far between, but some come available for sale. Brownells even made their own reproduction.

Either way you go, they won't be cheap.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Build one....Its half the fun! And yes I know I need to put a A1 correct style lower on mine. Just been missing the Brownells in stock notifications.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums...-My-M16-battlefield-pickup-replica&highlight=

Second on Brownells. I’ve enjoyed their retro kits for a few years now. I remember when they began producing the unobtanium triangle rifle handguards and how I couldn’t wait to place an order. And don’t ignore their .308 cal stuff. If you wanna build one, this is where to go.

Tidewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hammond
    If you want a clone correct rifle, you will have to build it.

If you just want an A1 style rifle, they are few and far between, but some come available for sale. Brownells even made their own reproduction.

Either way you go, they won't be cheap.

True. Not cheap. Speaking of that, I'm also concerned about resale. I'm a pretty good guitar builder, but a relatively unknown entity in that realm. I don't think there's a synergy of value-added for guns built by people like me. I'd likely have to break it down and sell to recoup my initial investment. In the guitar building world, that's a PIA. Likely the same in the gun building world.

Second on Brownells. I’ve enjoyed their retro kits for a few years now. I remember when they began producing the unobtanium triangle rifle handguards and how I couldn’t wait to place an order. And don’t ignore their .308 cal stuff. If you wanna build one, this is where to go.

I went to Brownells to check out their stuff - and found their 'Furniture' section with the A1 style forearm, grip, and butt. If I decide to build, I'll have to revisit them and see what else they offer. Cheers!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I trained and qualified in 1984 with the M16A1 while at Ft. Dix. Since then I've pretty much got busy with careers and kids, but never really forgot about that small arms experience. So now that i'm approaching retirement, I want to again spend time with the rifle of my youth... or a reasonable facsimile like the SP1.

I'm not a stickler for detail mechanically, and I'm not looking for a fully auto weapon. What I do want is an AR-15 that aesthetically resembles that A1 I used to date in basic training :rofl:

1) Should I just shut up and seek to buy the Colt SP1? They ain't cheap, but I have guns to sell that'll add up.
    - or -
    2) Should I consider assembling a replica using a good quality base-model and a A1 kit? I'm a mechanically inclined OCD engineer who can take direction, watch YouTube, and read tech pubs.
    - and -
    3) Would the cost of base purchase and kit exceed the cost of the SP1? Which brings me full circle back to #1 above.

506-1.jpg
    Check out Palmetto state armory. They have them in stock for $829

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-classic-a2-rifle.html

Tidewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hammond

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    True. Not cheap. Speaking of that, I'm also concerned about resale. I'm a pretty good guitar builder, but a relatively unknown entity in that realm. I don't think there's a synergy of value-added for guns built by people like me. I'd likely have to break it down and sell to recoup my initial investment. In the guitar building world, that's a PIA. Likely the same in the gun building world.

Then you don't want to build one. Investing in the tools alone is going to cost a bit. If you really go clone correct, you will need some specialty tools that are not readily available.

Tidewater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hammond
    Then you don't want to build one. Investing in the tools alone is going to cost a bit. If you really go clone correct, you will need some specialty tools that are not readily available.

Yeah. It seems like a cool project, but for doing a 'one-and-done' it's probably not worth the investment.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine

- or -
    - and -

506-1.jpg

Your best bet is to purchase one from Windham Weaponry. They have a A1 retro with a medium barrel. I was handling one in the factory store they are nice. They are around $1100-1300 street approx. WW is good stuff and building a A1 is expensive. Im not discouraging it but as a clone builder with tons of experience I would buy this versus the clone route. Finishing a Commando clone, and I use Windham parts when I cant source Colt. Its getting harder to source original parts and people are demanding top dollar. Plus Windham builds them right.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/a1-government/

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here’s another thought, if you buy a Colt SP01 you could shoot it for a few years and then sell it. They’re going up in value. Theoretically you could sell for more than you paid for it. This would make it essentially a free gun in the end. But it would have significantly higher buy in than a built one.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abu Josh

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Mandeville
    Gotta do it !

D3EE5068-62C3-4B6B-9A66-ADF485EEB104.jpg
    I was in one of the last Recruit Training Companies at MCRD SD that carried the A1 right before the switch to the A2, so I just had to build one. It’s a legit Colt A1 kit that I bought in 2008. Couldn’t get the upper and lower to match, but Reulet Gunworks suggested Cerakote Sniper Grey and it is very close to the original look. Love the completed build; it’s light, handles very well and is accurate. Big problem is that these kits are crazy expensive now, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom