Common sense statistics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I'm sorry but that is what I want. There was 11,101 homicides in 2011 of those 400 some odd were deemed "justified" it's the other 10,700 I want to know about. I have to assume at least 50% of them were solved, I want to know who did the murdering? I want to know who was murdered? What was the criminal history of the deceased. How many shots were fired? Were legally purchased guns used? Were stolen guns used? I think the Pro Gun people need to do the research and answer these questions. I hear that supposedly 83% of said homicides occur in urban centers of 250,000 population or greater, I want to know how much of that is criminal on criminal crime. I also want to know how many middle age generation Xer's were responsible for those stat's. Rant over.

5vegas

Smoke em
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Metairie
    Good luck. This info would never be released if research was done.

"sent from my phone using my fingers while drinking rum"

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    According to a Congressional Research Survey as of 2009 there are 310 million legally owned firearms in the United States.

How many crimes in the U.S. involved guns? Not just murder, all crime. Robbery, assault, rape, etc. We'll use the 2008 numbers since the total number of crimes involving guns in 2009 is not readily available yet. The number for 2008 will invariably be higher than that of 2009 since crime of all kind has been steadily decreasing in the United States since 1992. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) in 2008, 303,880 victims of violent crimes stated that they faced an offender with a firearm.

Let's make a few outlandish assumptions. Let's assume that every gun used in crime was a legally owned gun, which is a huuuuuge stretch. Let's also assume that no individual gun was ever used in more than one of these roughly 300,000 crimes. Again, this is another huuuuuuge stretch.

Now we'll do some simple division. 303,880/310,000,000 = 0.00098 or 0.098%. Using these assumptions and these numbers, 0.098% of firearms in the United States are used in crime.

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    Common sense statistics - I'm sorry but that is what I want.

That doesn't fit in with the media's agenda.

Here's an example of their common sense:

We need to ban all "assault rifles" now! We must stop school shootings like the Virginia Tech massacre, Sandy Hook, and the recent school shooting in California! Ban military style assault rifles!

VT shooting - 2 pistols used
    Sandy Hook - 2 pistols used
    California - Shotgun used

You see what I'm saying here, buddy?

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    In 2011, there were an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes. 1.2% (14442.768) were murders or non-negligent manslaughters. 9,821 of those murders were committed with a firearm. (FBI Violent Crime)

Of those murders committed with a firearm 72.42% were committed with a handgun, 2.56% with a rifle, 4.62% with a shotgun and 19.46% were committed with an unknown/homemade type of firearm (UCR Table 20)

According to several sources, about 75% of both murderers and victims have a violent criminal history.

The highest murder rate will be found in cities with a population of 250,000 - 499,999 (UCR Table 16)

64.8% of murders are cleared through arrest or exceptional means.

Since about 75% of murders are committed by prohibited persons, one would have to assume that 75% of murder weapons were obtained illegally, through theft, black market or illegally purchased/borrowed. There is no data (that I'm aware of) to indicate the average number of rounds fired per murder. Hope this gets you kicked off in the right direction for your research.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom