computer question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    i was thinking about getting a laptop and looked on ebay and saw you could pick one up for about $100 without the operating system. well windows 7 only costs about $75 i found with a quick search of google. is there something i should know about getting one of the computers? i have very little knowledge about computers so help me out as much as possible. also what in your opinions should i get for memory and ram and stuff for casual use?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    You cannot go wrong with one of the HP pcs from walmart...

any of the new laptops are fast enough to support anything you should ever want to do..

as a rule price wise.. if you can afford one with more ram.. get it.. even if it has less hardrive..

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    the biggest thing is i want to take some classes i have available to me during my down time at work. i work in a model home and on slow days with bad weather i don't have much to do. the work provided computer has too many limitations to allow me to do what i need to do. i need to have a cd drive for many of these classes. a secondary use would be watching movies during trips.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    well most netbooks don't have a cdrom drive so scratch that

you can find some great deals on the outlet pages of major laptop manufacturers:

http://outlet.lenovo.com
    http://www.dell.com/outlet
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/outlet

it's hard finding a good used laptop that's worth a damn. chances are the people selling it are doing so for a reason whether it's a piece of hardware that is failing or just not fast enough for modern software. it's like buying a used car, you never know what you're going to get.

if you can find one cheap though i can probably hook you up with a legit windows 7 key. i've got a bizspark account with a bunch of keys i'm not using.

thanks.

this is what the couress say i need for the class' software. if i get the 'recommended' level will that be pretty decent for other things as well?

Pentium III 600-megahertz (MHz) processor or equivalent (1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor recommended)
    At least 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM (512 MB recommended)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A few weeks ago I bought my wife a compaq (made by HP) laptop for about $350. It was a full sized new laptop w/ a gig of ram and 128megs of vram. It had a cd rom and a 250 gig hard drive.
    If I hadn't found that I was going to buy one of the asus remanufactured netbooks from www.mwave.com for $160.
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA37756

It doesn't have a cd rom but you can add a usb cd rom for not much.

btw, customer service from mwave has been fantastic. I called them one afternoon about a driver problem a few years ago for something. They said they'd get back to me the next day. 10am the next morning fedex was at my door with a burned cd-rom. Can't get better service than that!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    i was thinking about getting a laptop and looked on ebay and saw you could pick one up for about $100 without the operating system. well windows 7 only costs about $75 i found with a quick search of google. is there something i should know about getting one of the computers? i have very little knowledge about computers so help me out as much as possible. also what in your opinions should i get for memory and ram and stuff for casual use?

Um, where are you buying Win 7 for $75??

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    attachment.php

Top Bottom