Conceal Carry on La. WMA's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    1685895439600.png

Be aware of your rights.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can not conceal carry on a WMA.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    yup!!! I deff utilize it while camping down miss. river in no mans land in venice LA. primitive camping/hunting at Pass a loutre, or south pass, no body out there to save you but your self, lol.

i would suspect it would take time but "if" constitutional carry is passed, with in a few years this will change to reflect the same being legal with maybe a valid hunting lic or gun safety card, but again will take years and thats a big if lol,

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    yup!!! I deff utilize it while camping down miss. river in no mans land in venice LA. primitive camping/hunting at Pass a loutre, or south pass, no body out there to save you but your self, lol.

i would suspect it would take time but "if" constitutional carry is passed, with in a few years this will change to reflect the same being legal with maybe a valid hunting lic or gun safety card, but again will take years and thats a big if lol,
    There are rules specific to camping on a WMA that allow campers to be in possession of a firearm in their camp with or without a Conceal Handgun Permit.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    According to LA RS 56:1691, you don't necessarily need a concealed carry permit.

§1691. Possession of firearms

A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may possess or transport such firearm within the boundaries of a state park, state historic site, state preservation area, wildlife management area, or wildlife refuge.

Acts 2010, No. 790, §1.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    According to LA RS 56:1691, you don't necessarily need a concealed carry permit.

A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may possess or transport such firearm within the boundaries of a state park, state historic site, state preservation area, wildlife management area, or wildlife refuge.

Acts 2010, No. 790, §1.
    To conceal you do… but not to open carry

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I always conceal carry in WMA's - I don't even have an OWB holster for my little P365XL, and secondly if you OWB carry in the bush a lot you end up scraping it on trees and catching it on thorns. My G19 ended up with wood bits ground into the grip from a tree I squeezed by, and it was a real pain to get it all out of the grip texture. Better to sweat all over it IWB and have to give it a bit of TLC afterwards.

Though I AM curious what a game warden would have to say about the streamlight mounted on my Glock, considering you can't mount them on a hunting rifle. But that hasn't deterred me from carrying it when hunting. I want a mounted flashlight when I'm heading towards my stand in the dark at 4:30 in the morning, whatever the law may say. Scouting I generally use my P365XL though as it's always in daylight.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

Acts 2010, No. 790, §1.
    it also depends on wlf regulations at that given time… the chp gives you the availblitly to carry a handgun with standard ammo, not rat shot 365…. Other than that you have to abide by the current regulations… you have to read all the laws, single laws like above do not trump regulations in certain times

Example
    Chp you can conceal a 9mm on WMA during bow season

No chp, you can carry a .22 with rat shot open carry only….

During squirrel rabbit season with chp you can carry 9mm, .45, 10mm ect concealed

Open carry only .22 rim fire open carry …

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    it also depends on wlf regulations at that given time… the chp gives you the availblitly to carry a handgun with standard ammo, not rat shot 365…. Other than that you have to abide by the current regulations… you have to read all the laws, single laws like above do not trump regulations in certain times

Example
    Chp you can conceal a 9mm on WMA during bow season

No chp, you can carry a .22 with rat shot open carry only….

During squirrel rabbit season with chp you can carry 9mm, .45, 10mm ect concealed

Open carry only .22 rim fire open carry …
    I always thought those rules were stupid - the fact they apply to all firearms, not just rifles. You'd essentially have to hamstring your own self defense if limited to open carry just because they decided to broad brush restrictions, as if people would actually attempt hunting with a Taurus Judge or some such nonsense.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I always thought those rules were stupid - the fact they apply to all firearms, not just rifles. You'd essentially have to hamstring your own self defense if limited to open carry just because they decided to broad brush restrictions, as if people would actually attempt hunting with a Taurus Judge or some such nonsense.
    yup!! thats why a chp makes it easy.... you can carry what ever you want when ever you want legally..... Keeps you from haveing to check if its the 3rd Thursday of the 6th month and after 2pm to make sure your legal :zombie:

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    yup!! thats why a chp makes it easy.... you can carry what ever you want when ever you want legally..... Keeps you from haveing to check if its the 3rd Thursday of the 6th month and after 2pm to make sure your legal :zombie:
    Just wish it wasn't so expensive. Don't get me wrong, I'd have a CHP regardless even if constitutional carry was implemented (not that we'll see that any time soon) just for reciprocity with other states, but I think I've paid like $800-900 so far in licensing costs with renewals. For a natural right. That could have paid for another gun on my wishlist...

Top Bottom