Concealed carry in restraunts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Heard today that a bill was introduced in the house making it legal to conceal carry in a restraunt that serves alcohol. I thought it was already legal as long as alcohol was not it's main product being sold as in a bar or club.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Heard today that a bill was introduced in the house making it legal to conceal carry in a restraunt that serves alcohol. I thought it was already legal as long as alcohol was not it's main product being sold as in a bar or club.
    It's previously been "grey" if the restaurant has a bar.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

It's been /made/ grey, I guess I should say, and is not completely clear in exactly how the law applies. It's been a debated topic, with educated people on both sides of the issue, and Sgt Reavis has made statements previously muddying the waters, in my opinion, in contrast to the verbiage of the law.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

In other words, by statute, a restaurant is ok to carry.
    Unless said restaurant does not allow under 18 on premises.
    Easy to determine.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Are you taklking about this?

http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=839469&n=HB265 Engrossed

It is for police officers.
    "This bill would exempt law enforcement officers acting in official duties from current law which prohibits the possession of a firearm on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet. The current law already exempts the owner and employees of the outlet."

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Even if sitting at the bar where someone is having shots poured next to me?
    Applebees in lafayette?

Credential License Type Issue Date Expiration Date Status Reason
    AR.28.0000002287-BL CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 11/01/2012 10/31/2013 CURRENT LICENSE ACTIVE
    AR.28.0000002287-B CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER 10/28/2004 10/31/2005 CLOSED DUE TO CONSOLIDATION
    AR.28.0000002287-L CLASS A RESTAURANT LIQUOR 10/28/2004 10/31/2005 CLOSED DUE TO CONSOLIDATION
    AR.28.0000002287-R CLASS R RESTAURANT 11/01/2012 10/31/2013 CURRENT LICENSE ACTIVE

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    This is as clear cut as it can get. If they have a "Class A - General" liquor license then you can't carry there. If they don't then you can. This is just an opinion, i'm not a lawyer, insert disclaimer here.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is as clear cut as it can get. If they have a "Class A - General" liquor license then you can't carry there. If they don't then you can. This is just an opinion, i'm not a lawyer, insert disclaimer here.
    That's the problem

That's why it's NOT clear

Yes, the PROSECUTION may easily know whether or not they have a case.

Do you look up every restaurant or business to see what kind of license they have before you enter? Unless you know /BEFORE ENTERING/ with the same knowledge you generally would have anywhere... it's NOT clear where you can and can NOT carry.

What if you're out and about seeing the sights, and come across this lovely beer and burgers joint that looks interesting? OH **** BETTER WHIP OUT GOOGLE AND SEE IF I CAN GO IN.

Add to the fact that I've been told Sgt Reavis has stated repeatedly (I know he's not 'the man' anymore) that you can go into restaurants with a bar, SO LONG AS you don't sit AT the bar, but you can walk through the bar area to use the shitter... it gets muddy for someone who just wants to follow the law... and still live their life like they normally do.

The public needs something more transparent than government records, to know the difference.

Not. Clear.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It is clear.

You don't have to look up the liquor licenses, they have to have them posted. It is pretty easy to tell, Class A general Retail cannot allow minors to enter.

You can sit at the bar at your local Restaurant while someone is having shots poured right next to you.

Oh, and Sgt Reavis told me you can carry in a Restaurant, even in the bar portion. He suggested to prevent any issues with local LEO not understanding/caring what the law was to not make a habit of it or make sure it was concealed really well...

You can also carry on private property with permission of the owner/manager even if it is a prohibited location, but at that point you are not carrying on your permit. Well, that was what the CHP office said...

Anyway, this post, and most of my posts are works of fiction and are for entertainment purposes only, not necessarily for your entertainment.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Y'all keep saying "cannot allow minors to enter" but posted just above is someone who looked up Applebee's in Lafayette, showing they also have a Class A license. They certainly allow minors in. So how does the "They won't let minors in" rule-of-thumb work for that? Apparently I'm not supposed to carry at Applebee's, due to Class A license but there's nothing that really makes it any different.

Be easier to do what this bill suggests, and just do away with the restriction!

As for the license posting... where? I can't recall seeing it in many places, and it's strange as hell to request it...

The point of the matter is this: carrying a gun should not mean I have to live my life differently or with such bureaucratic rules to worry about. I carry a gun so I can keep living my life as I would like to, not because I /don't/ want to continue on as normal. I shouldn't be required to do investigation to decide if I'm legal or not, within a building.

I think this bill is a great way to make an easier, more transparent, and less-inconvenient line as to where we can and can not. Even if you think it was oh-so clear before, I don't see any reason this should not be passed.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    That's the problem

That's why it's NOT clear

Yes, the PROSECUTION may easily know whether or not they have a case.

Do you look up every restaurant or business to see what kind of license they have before you enter? Unless you know /BEFORE ENTERING/ with the same knowledge you generally would have anywhere... it's NOT clear where you can and can NOT carry.

What if you're out and about seeing the sights, and come across this lovely beer and burgers joint that looks interesting? OH **** BETTER WHIP OUT GOOGLE AND SEE IF I CAN GO IN.

Add to the fact that I've been told Sgt Reavis has stated repeatedly (I know he's not 'the man' anymore) that you can go into restaurants with a bar, SO LONG AS you don't sit AT the bar, but you can walk through the bar area to use the shitter... it gets muddy for someone who just wants to follow the law... and still live their life like they normally do.

The public needs something more transparent than government records, to know the difference.

Not. Clear.

Every establishment that has an alcohol permit has to post it.

If they have a bar area it is usually there.
    If not it will be with all the other permits.

Look around next time you are at an Appleby's or wherever.

The permits have a big AR or AG on them.

AR for restaurant, and AG for a bar.

They also have B or BL that indicates if they sell just beer or beer and liquor.

Also I'd not sit at the bar when carrying.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom