Concealed Carry Renewal Class in New Orleans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    My CC expires in June and I want to get the process going to renew. Any recommendations for a renewal class in Mid City or Uptown sections of New Orleans, preferably a one day Saturday class or over two Saturdays. Is training required to be the same as initial certification class or could it be something a little more advanced as to addressing and responding to situations? Thanks in advance.

LMF45

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Metairie, La
    My CC expires in June and I want to get the process going to renew. Any recommendations for a renewal class in Mid City or Uptown sections of New Orleans, preferably a one day Saturday class or over two Saturdays. Is training required to be the same as initial certification class or could it be something a little more advanced as to addressing and responding to situations? Thanks in advance.
    Phobos Solutions 504-655-1711

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I just did mine, it was quick and easy.

About $95 at Jefferson indoor range on Airline highway.

It’s a 2 hour class. One of the guys involved in the shooting they had a couple years ago.

They covered scenarios u might get into and such.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I took the Bearco online last time and highly recommend it. Very informative and convenient.

azncajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    I was asking because i dont know. So what are the benefits of having a CCP? Can i conceal carry without one?

If this is secret info please direguard.
    The main to reasons are that you can carry within
    I was asking because i dont know. So what are the benefits of having a CCP? Can i conceal carry without one?

If this is secret info please direguard.
    The main two reasons are so that you can carry within a school zone (1000 ft radius of a school) because there are a lot more than most people realize and so you can have reciprocity in some other states.

bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA
    As of July 4, 2024, it is legal for a Louisiana Resident to carry concealed without a permit as long as they are 18 years old and are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.
    The new law “DOES NOT” prohibit you from carrying within a school zone. However, even with a Permit, you are NOT ALLOWED to carry inside the school or at school functions. You are still prohibited, even with a permit, from carrying in certain places both public and private.
    The benefit to a CCW is that you are granted reciprocity to carry out of state. The “Constitutional Carry Law” only pertains to Louisiana Residents while in the state. NOT outside the state.
    If you get a lifetime permit, you are only exempt from firearms background checks for the first 5 years. After that you are required to get a background check. If you get 5 year CCWs, then the “clock” starts over when you renew.
    Just FYI, online renewals DO NOT fully meet the criteria to renew your permit. You MUST attend a live fire training session as well.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    As of July 4, 2024, it is legal for a Louisiana Resident to carry concealed without a permit as long as they are 18 years old and are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.
    The new law “DOES NOT” prohibit you from carrying within a school zone. However, even with a Permit, you are NOT ALLOWED to carry inside the school or at school functions. You are still prohibited, even with a permit, from carrying in certain places both public and private.
    The benefit to a CCW is that you are granted reciprocity to carry out of state. The “Constitutional Carry Law” only pertains to Louisiana Residents while in the state. NOT outside the state.
    If you get a lifetime permit, you are only exempt from firearms background checks for the first 5 years. After that you are required to get a background check. If you get 5 year CCWs, then the “clock” starts over when you renew.
    Just FYI, online renewals DO NOT fully meet the criteria to renew your permit. You MUST attend a live fire training session as well.
    The new law “DOES NOT” prohibit you from carrying within a school zone???

bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA
    I know the difference I've had a CHP since the 90's. Your sentence about threw me. The new law does nothing about school zones. You still need a valid CHP to be in the 1000' zone or on private property.
    Let me clarify this so that there is no confusion.

If you have a LA CHP or fall under the new law, LA RS 14:95M,N, you are allowed to be within the 1000 ft area. You cannot break the "barrier" of a Firearms Free Zone no matter if you have a permit or not. A LA CHP DOES NOT automatically give you permission to be on "private property" with a handgun (or any firearm for that matter). Under LA Law, you are supposed to obtain permission from the owner of the property before entering with a firearm. (This one should be a no-brainer though! You should know who your friends are!)

Here are some links directly to the LA Legislature Website and the LA Laws that pertain to this issue.
    Hope this helps!

LA RS 14:95 Illegal Carrying of Weapons

LA RS 40:1379.3 Statewide permits for concealed handguns; application procedures; definitions

There are several more laws to read up on with this, but I'd have to make a laundry list of links here (which I'm not going to do)

azncajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    Let me clarify this so that there is no confusion.

If you have a LA CHP or fall under the new law, LA RS 14:95M,N, you are allowed to be within the 1000 ft area. You cannot break the "barrier" of a Firearms Free Zone no matter if you have a permit or not. A LA CHP DOES NOT automatically give you permission to be on "private property" with a handgun (or any firearm for that matter). Under LA Law, you are supposed to obtain permission from the owner of the property before entering with a firearm. (This one should be a no-brainer though! You should know who your friends are!)

Here are some links directly to the LA Legislature Website and the LA Laws that pertain to this issue.
    Hope this helps!

LA RS 14:95 Illegal Carrying of Weapons

LA RS 40:1379.3 Statewide permits for concealed handguns; application procedures; definitions

There are several more laws to read up on with this, but I'd have to make a laundry list of links here (which I'm not going to do)

What about the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act?

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Whatever happened to the kid who was rucking with a backpack and a rifle slung along river road on the bike path and someone reported him.
    As it turned out he was on school property as it had been donated at some.Point to the school board ?/

Hell, half the swamps are school board and are hunted on

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lilvonte722
    Top Bottom