Concealed weapons permit question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gulfdiver

Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    I have a concealed weapons permit in the state of Alabama, Now today I just switched my Driver license over to L.A. license does that void my permit?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Louisiana honors your Alabama CCW so you should have no issues. You should, however, take note that you must notify a peace officer of your ccw if in a professional encounter. I don't think that law exists in AL.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Might wanna check with AL since if your Offical residency changed.... Not sure if it is the same as FL... LSP.org to get the CWP section,

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I have a concealed weapons permit in the state of Alabama, Now today I just switched my Driver license over to L.A. license does that void my permit?

You need to contact Alabama and discuss this. Most states have rules that void your permit if you establish residency in another state. Most states also require that you notify them when you change your address.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    You need to contact Alabama and discuss this. Most states have rules that void your permit if you establish residency in another state. Most states also require that you notify them when you change your address.

That is true. If you were to have moved from LA to somewhere else, your resident permit is invalid. It is good to have non-resident permits from somewhere (like FL or VA) for this reason. You will need to read the CCW statute for your prior state of residence to find this out.

ETA: 'calling' is not always a good idea, if you can read the law for yourself. Many times, the people who enforce the law are not very well informed on what the laws mean, unless they have been specifically called to task on an item (even then, it is a gamble).

Top Bottom